The Craziest Thing I Did to Save Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Have you heard? Saving money is cool again—just ask Macklemore. I mean, some of my favorite adventures have happened because I wanted to save two bucks on T fare. I’ll end up in Boston somewhere, sometimes on an impromptu walk down the river or a people-watching trip to Long Wharf . . . Then, of course, I’ll get restless and want to be somewhere else.  I could hop on the T and take a short subway ride across town, or I could just walk there, and since a couple short T rides can add up pretty quickly I usually just tighten my laces and march on.

Our friends at DoSomething.org know what it’s like to go out of your comfort zone (or take a three-hour walk) to pinch pennies. That’s why they launched their new campaign, “The Craziest Thing I Did To Save Money.” With sky-high tuition, money is obviously a huge issue for college students trying to figure out how to balance school, work, and student loans. Learning how to manage our finances responsibly can be tough, though! Do Something, partnered with H&R Block, has posted some great tips on how to approach savings, credit cards, and debt, which they break down into some common-sense ways to make it all manageable.

Even better, they let students post the insane things they’ve done to save cash. There really is some crazy stuff up there; the list goes from brilliant to somewhat immoral to really, really gross. I wouldn’t mind going door-to-door selling crafts, but returning worn clothing for a full refund seems a little iffy and I draw the line WAY before reusing toilet paper.  If you think you can compete, post something yourself! You’ll get the chance to win a $4,000 dollar scholarship along with the right to brag about your thrifty ways.

What I like most about Do Something’s new campaign is that it makes saving money exciting instead of a chore. You might start shopping at thrift shops and find a super fly onesie, or maybe you’ll grow to love Boston by wandering between T stations. For me, walking my around the city started as a way to save and turned into one of my favorite things to do. Doing “crazy” things is a way to think more carefully about the way you spend your cash, but it’s also a chance to learn a new money-saving skill or break out of a dull routine that was hard on your wallet. Secondhand is the new brand name, so get in on the trend and have some fun with it.

Lauren is a junior Philosophy concentrator at Harvard with an absurd enthusiasm for Latin, typewriters, and other old things. A third-generation Bostonian, she enjoys long walks on the (wicked cold) beach and beating the Yankees. She spends most of her free time dancing, choreographing, or thinking about dancing and choreographing for the Harvard-Radcliffe Modern Dance Company and TAPS.
 Michelle is a senior at Harvard College hailing from Long Island, New York. She is pursuing a degree in Comparative Literature with a minor in English and special focus fields in sleep deprivation and procrastination. At any given moment, you are most likely to find her racking up points on her Starbucks Gold Card, writing by the Charles River, or stalking Boo's latest photo shoot. Michelle couldn't be more excited to be part of the Her Campus team and bring HC to life on Harvard's campus, and she would love to hear from you with any feedback!