Style

The Best Thrift Shops in the Harvard/Boston Area!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

One of my New Year’s resolutions for 2019 is to be a more responsible consumer. I’ve always loved fashion and trends, which means that over the years, I’ve accumulated a lot of stuff. I would like to say that I’m a collector, but the truth is that I’m an impulsive shopper and a massive consumer of fast fashion. I only realized that my consuming habits were getting out of hand, when one of my best friends decided to Marie Condo my room. As she held one item after another up, she would ask, “Does this spark joy?” and I realized that most of the items I owned were bought simply because I was eager to keep up with trends or to satisfy some craving that I had in the moment. Thus, I began my journey of cleansing my closet, and ridding myself of fast fashion. My solution to my problem is to quit online shopping and to only consume recycled fashion in 2019. The best way to do this is thrift shopping, of course. Thrift shops are great because you have to go out of your way to shop, therefor you do it less often and only when you really want to. Additionally, there are fewer online platforms for thrift shopping. So, I decided to go on a hunt for thrift shops near me!

1. Buffalo Exchange: There are several different locations near Harvard’s campus. There is one in David Square that is only a 10-minute subway ride away, and one in Allston, which is about a 10-minute Uber away. This chain of recycled fashion is so great because it offers such a variety of brands and styles for quite reasonable prices. Their prices are a bit higher than Goodwill, but that’s because they offer clothing from pricey brands that are barely worn. If you want a Free People dress or Urban Outfitter sweater for a third of the retail price, definitely stop at Buffalo Exchange on your next shopping spree!

2. Vivant Vintage: I only discovered this store recently. Like the name implies, this is a vintage thrift shop. They not only sell clothes and shoes, but also vintage magazines, mirrors, jewelry, and various collectible items. Everything is vintage, and in great condition. I’ve found that their prices are on the higher side, but generally vintage fashion tends to be a bit more expensive. If you want a really great oversized denim jacket or a unique dress for your formal, Vivant Vintage is the place to go!

3. The Garment District: I’m warning you now, if you want to have a successful shopping trip here, make sure that you dedicate a good amount of time and patience when you visit this store! Downstairs, there is an area with piles of clothing on the floor. These items are sold by the pound. You can find some great things here but be prepared to dig! Upstairs, the clothing and fashion is a bit more organized. There is a great selections of designer items as well as fast fashion brands for reasonable prices. Usually, their prices are a little high for my taste, but if you visit them on one of their 50% off weekends, everything upstairs is half off! Another plus is their selection of costumes! They are usually pretty fun and tasteful for a great price!

I am a senior at Harvard College studying Applied Mathematics with a specialization in Economics, and I am planning on getting a language citation in Spanish. I am currently a co-president and campus correspondent of Harvard's chapter of Her Campus! I am also a committee chair of a student organization that works with University Health Services called HealthPALs (Peer Advisors and Liaisons). Additionally, I am a member and co-director of service in OAASIS (Organization of Asian American Sisters in Service). Apart from that, I spend a lot of my time as a Learning Lab Undergraduate Fellow at the Harvard Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning. I am also the co-founder of a project at the Office of Diversity of Inclusion at Harvard. I am super passionate about math, health, and higher education! In my free time I love to work out, experiment with makeup and fashion, visit museums, and try new foods!