This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

HC Harvard’s very own wise and worldly collegiette advice columnist is here to answer any and all of your pressing questions about life in and out of the Harvard bubble! If you’ve got a question you would like to see answered, Ask Elle here! 

Dear Elle,

I’ve applied for so many internships and haven’t gotten any (except for the unpaid
one, of course).  I know everyone is looking for things to do over the summer, but
I feel like I won’t find anything and will be stuck at home.  Any advice on dealing
with the blow of rejection after rejection?

HCXO,
Jobless Junior

Dear Jobless,
I’m so sorry it seems like all your effort isn’t paying off. It can be super
frustrating to get your heart set on that amazing internship only to get turned
down again and again . . .

Just remember that these rejections aren’t about YOU—chances are you
want to get the sorts of jobs that are intensely competitive and massively hard
to land. Even the most amazing candidates can get lost in piles of applications.
But if you do think you can improve your app, or if you think it would help ease
your mind, try emailing some of the places that rejected you asking for tips to
improve. Anyone working there will have been in your shoes before, and maybe
a few will have time to help a sister out.

Here’s the thing about summer plans: even the girl who got her dream
internship could have an awful summer if she sits around waiting for awesome
things to happen instead of making awesome things happen in the moment. I
know that you, fabulous collegiette that you are, can find something worthwhile
in even the most “boring” summer. If planning in advance doesn’t pan out, don’t
forget that you can also plan on the go and still make your time worthwhile.
Obviously you’re a go-getter, since you’ve been filling out applications all winter,
so even if it isn’t in your power to get that stunningly glamorous, all-expenses-
paid internship, you’ll be able to take what you do get and make it into what you
need. Now THAT kind of versatility is an impressive skill . . . Maybe even one you
could write about in an application essay.

Best of luck!
HCXO,
Elle

Elle is an undergrad at Harvard who would love to tackle any #harvardproblems you throw at her. Ask her anything!
 Michelle is a senior at Harvard College hailing from Long Island, New York. She is pursuing a degree in Comparative Literature with a minor in English and special focus fields in sleep deprivation and procrastination. At any given moment, you are most likely to find her racking up points on her Starbucks Gold Card, writing by the Charles River, or stalking Boo's latest photo shoot. Michelle couldn't be more excited to be part of the Her Campus team and bring HC to life on Harvard's campus, and she would love to hear from you with any feedback!