Style > Decor

Your Guide to Revamping your Dorm on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

So, you’ve moved into the dorm and decided that your room needs a little extra pizzazz. Shopping for dorm room items can be a euphoric yet overwhelming experience. It’s a time to refresh and step into your new life as a college student. Instead of worrying about going over your budget, here are five stores that won’t break the bank creating your perfect sanctuary!  

1. Bed Bath and Beyond

Bed Bath and Beyond is a go-to place for dorm shopping. This retail store has everything you need, from kitchen supplies, cozy bedding, and storage items. As a bonus, there are a ton of coupons readily available online, making shopping for essentials affordable. 

My top pick: Wild Sage™ Adele Flower Throw Pillow

2. Amazon

Amazon is great for having a wide selection and quick delivery. I highly recommend getting decorations and organizer bins from the site. Remember always to check the reviews to make sure you are getting your money’s worth of supplies. What’s great about shopping as a college student with Amazon is that the retail giant offers college students a free six-month trial of Amazon Prime—giving you access to free delivery, exclusive deals, and Prime Movies. 

My top pick: 3-Tier Rolling Utility Cart

3. 5 Below

5 Below is one of the most affordable places to get super cute dorm decor! With a whole department focused on college dorm rooms, its online store has a good selection of desk accessories, wall art, and lighting. Along with the decor, 5 Below has practical dorm supplies such as extension cords, power strips, and printer cables. The website also offers schools supplies from major brands like Papermate and Sharpie.

My top pick: LED curtain lights 5ft

4. Walmart

Walmart is another dorm shopping go-to place. With there being a Walmart close to Hampton’s campus, Walmart is a great place to pick up last-minute room accessories. Throw pillows, wall tapestries, rugs, seating, everything that you can think of to customize your space. If you’re on a budget, Walmart has discounted items.  

My top pick: Mainstays World Wall Tapestry

5. Dorm Co

Specializing in dorm room needs year-round, the online store Dorm Co is perfect to find bedding, throw pillows, trunks, closet organizers, and more. If you’re interested in more unique dorm room items, Dorm Co has an extensive selection to match your dorm room aesthetic. The website offers student discounts on most products. 

My top pick: Smoke Blue/Granite Gray Reversible Twin XL Comforter

It takes a lot to transform a dorm room into your home away from home, but hopefully, with these stores, you can customize your room and prepare for an amazing on-campus experience!

Ryanne Howard

Hampton U '23

Ryanne Howard is a junior at Hampton University. She is a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Leadership Studies from Raleigh, North Carolina. At Hampton University she is a member of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute as well as the Student Recruitment Team. Ryanne aspires to be a Public Relations Manager for a major company in the golfing industry.