You Can Thank Black People For These Inventions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Have you ever stopped to think what America would be without Black people? We’re constantly being told to go back to where we came from, but what would America honestly be like without us? Her Campus is here is educate you on all of the greatness that Black people have blessed America since this is the blackest month ever.

1. The Ice Cream Scoop

Nothing is better on a hot day than a nice scoop of ice cream. Did you know that your favorite ice cream shoppes wouldn’t even be able to scoop your ice cream without Alfred L. Cralle, who invented the ice cream scoop.

2. The Traffic Light

Garrett Morgan invented one of the first traffic lights. Think about all the accidents that would have occurred if it wasn’t for this brilliant man.

3. The Lock

Now as college students we should all be thankful for Washington A. Martin who invented the first lock, because everyone’s not saved and they will steal your things.

4. The shampoo headrest

Think about all the pain you would be in without a headrest while you are getting your hair shampooed. Charles Orren Baliff invented the shampoo headrest, an invention that will bless women for years to come.

5. Potato Chips

Is a party even a real party without chips, well you can thank George Crum for inventing your favorite snack.

6. The automatic gearshift

Have you ever tried driving a stick shift, its definitely not the easiest thing to do. Thankfully Richard Spikes invented the automatic gearshift.

7. The Super Soaker

If you’ve never used a super soaker, your childhood was probably boring. Lonnie G. Johnson invented the super soaker, a toy that changed childrens parties forever.

8. The Lawn mower

Your yard would definitely look like a jungle if John Burr never invented the automatic lawn mower.

9. The Dryer

George T. Sampson is the reason why you don’t have to hang your granny panties on a clothing line outside to dry anymore. Thank you sir.

10. Peanut Butter

Everyone loves Reese’s and what would your childhood have been like without peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Honestly you should know who invented peanut butter but in case you forgot, it was George Washington Carver.

This is just a really short list of all of the things that black people have blessed us with over the years. White America love to tell us to go back to where we came from, and act like they don’t need us for anything, but lets face it America would be trash without Black People.

Just a black girl who's constantly flourishing.