What’s Happening Black America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.
  1. There have been 400 Hate Crimes Committed Over the Last Week

In the past week after the President elect was revealed, 400+ hate crimes have been reported across America. These crimes include but are not limited to, graffiti reading “Make America White Again”, and non people of color spewing racist remarks to men women and children color as soon as hours after the election. 60% of the crimes in fact are believed to be inflicted due to race or ethnicity.

2. The West Virginia Mayor Who Disrespected Our FLOTUS Resigns

Last week, West Virginia Mayor Beverly Whaling ruined her reputation, and essentially her career when she called our First Lady, Michelle Obama, an “ape in heels”. Her exact quote being, “It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady in the White House. I’m tired of seeing an Ape in heels.” Thankfully, the Mayor has resigned, not before trying to justify her words playing the poor, “I’m not racist, I’m honest” card.

Did we really take your word sour of context Beverly? Did we really?

#GirlBye #YouWontBeMissed

3. Minnesota Officer Charged in Philando Castile’s Death

The officer charged with murdering young and innocent Philando Castile, shot in front of his girlfriend and daughter, was charged with second-degree murder manslaughter. If convicted, the officer, Jerinimo Yanez faces up to 10 years in prison. Let’s continue to pray the true justice will be further served.

4. #IWalkWithNatasha 300+ People Escort Black Student Around Campus After She Was Assaulted Due to Her Race

Baylor University student Natasha Nkhama was racially harassed on her way to class shortly after the election. Here is her account:

“On my way to class, this guy went out of his way to bump into me and … shove me off the sidewalk,” she said. “He said ‘no n—-s allowed on the sidewalk.’ And I was just shocked. Like, I had no words.“

Her Campus’ reaction to the blatant and scary ignorance, was to help Nkhama feel safe and protected by serving as her personal bodyguards, escorting around campus ensuring that no offenders could strike and offend the young student.

5. Donald Trump’s 10-Point Plan for the Black Community

Earlier in his campaign, Trump was using the slogan, “What do you have to lose?” when regarding the communities vote. Now, he has developed a 10-Point plan on how to help and “improve” the lives of those in the Black community. The key points include plans to produce safer communities, heighten levels of education, and protecting the Black Church. Many people are asking what exactly is Trump’s angle? As many are deeply rolling their eyes and turning their backs to Trump’s plan, still doubtful that he will actually treat the Black community as a priority by implementing sufficient and positive change.

"Nothing more dangerous than a beautiful woman who is focused and unimpressed."