This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Since I was 2 years old, I’ve been a cheerleader. I was on the Varsity cheer team in high school team, on multiple levels of senior competitive teams, and 3 years ago I became a collegiate cheerleader at the prestigious Hampton University. It’s a shame that I’ve been trying to change people’s opinions about my sport since I was 10. Let me start by saying athleticism is required.

Three categories.

1.     Professional cheer (Middle and high school teams)

2.     Competitive cheer (All Star teams)

3.     Collegiate cheer

Right now, I am going to tell you the most important things I feel everyone who is not a cheerleader should know:

Most people don’t look past beyond the skirt and the pom-poms. Cheerleading is way more than spirit fingers and chanting.

First, cheerleaders are not stupid. Most teams require a 2.5 GPA for you to stay on the team. Coaches always urge studying and homework on breaks. During competitions, you will often see cheerleaders doing work before they warm up or on any other breaks.

Cheerleading is a performance sport. Glitter. Bows. Makeup. We have to look like one cohesive unit. No one can stand out. We’re not all “bitchy.” Don’t focus on the stereotypes. Get to know us and you’ll learn to love the people you meet. We are NOT all the same.

Yes, cheer teams practice in short shorts and sports bras, but the main reason is for safety during tumbling and stunting. Also we are not “slutty” because our uniforms are small. It comes with the sport; just like gymnast wear leotards or volleyball players wear spanks.

Lastly, cheerleading is intense. Many teams have 3 hour practices involving dancing, stretching, tumbling, stunting and conditioning. Cheerleaders have to attend practices, cheer at games or events weekly all while keep their up their grades. You need stamina for a cheerleaders schedule.

I asked a few of my teammates what they wanted people to know about cheer and this is what they came up with:

“Cheerleaders throw athletes… other sports throw balls.”  – Kayla

“Cheerleading IS a SPORT!” – Jasmine Wynn

“Cheerleading is time consuming and takes a lot of practice.” – Bria Cross

“Cheerleading is just as rigorous as any other sport.” – Riley Holbert

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.