What Being in a Pageant Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Many people believe that pageants are just a waste of money and are full of shallow, spoiled women. They believe that it is an event where women display themselves like pieces of candy for the judges to pick which piece they believe is the sweetest. These thought processes are completely wrong and if people open their minds then they will understand the real culture of pageants and how they enhance a woman’s life. Her Campus is here to show you why participating in a pageant is an amazing self esteem boost and how much you will learn during and after the pageant experience.

Pageants are definitely a way to display one’s beauty, but it’s not only one’s physical beauty but also their inner beauty as well. You are not only asked to strut around in gowns and two piece bathing suits but you also have to win over the judges by charming them with wit and charisma. Political, social and personality questions are asked during a pageant process for the judges to get a chance to get to know how you think, what you value in life and to figure out how much of an intellectual you are.

Willingly putting yourself out there to be judged by other people is incredibly scary and takes a lot of confidence and willpower to do. “You have to learn to trust yourself more than you trust anything else in the world because you have no one else to depend on especially when you are standing on that stage,” said contestant #9 from the Miss Black and Gold pageant Morgan Okonkwo a Junior Psychology Pre-Medical major. Understanding that you are enough and that everything that you do is perfect no matter is a major lesson that all women should have the opportunity to learn.

Another lesson that pageants teach you is how to brand yourself – every single person has a brand (your name). Every job or internship you take, every community service event you volunteer at and every organization you associate with adds to your brand. Each interview you go on is your chance to sell yourself to that recruiter/ company and knowing how to sell yourself will ensure that you get every position you are pursuing.

Pageants are certainly a learning experience that teaches you how to connect with your inner self and how to embrace your God-given beauty and talents. “I believe that young women should compete in pageants at least once in their lives, if possible. They have the opportunity to learn things about themselves that they may not have without this experience. In addition to gaining a court of pageant sisters that you bond with as well, win or lose, it’s an experience that will forever be cherished,” said Contestant #3 from the Black and Gold pageant Kyla Wright a Sophomore Journalism major. There is absolutely nothing wrong with pageants and its nature; it is an eye opening experience that changes you for the better and allows you to value yourself more that you did before. Everyone should at least once in their life participate in a pageant so that they can become one with their Black Girl Magic!

Olivia is a Sophomore Strategic Communications major Marketing minor form Staten Island, New York. She loves going out to eat, planning events and giving back to the community. Olivia hopes that through her writing and community outreach that she can positively change a young woman's life even if it is in the smallest way possible.