Understanding Seasonal Affective Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Seasonal affective disorder is an illness that many people have little to no knowledge about. Although SAD is diagnosed more often in women than in men, but men may have more-severe symptoms. The reality is, mental illness is something that affects people of all ages, races, and sexes. Depression affects millions daily. As college students, we are more than aware of the effects and stress that comes along with submitting last minute assignments, exams, and finals. It can be overwhelming.

What’s SAD?  It stands for seasonal affective disorder, a type of depression that’s related to changes in seasons. SAD begins and ends at about the same times every year. Now that November has set in and it getting darker much earlier, it can be a downer. If you’re like most people with SAD, your symptoms start in the fall and continue into the winter, sapping your energy and making you feel moody.

Commonly mistaken for PMS symptoms, some common signs include irritability, tiredness or low energy, problems getting along with other people, hypersensitivity to rejection, oversleeping, appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbs, and weight gain.

Need help trying to curb SAD?

1) Make sure you’re meeting your basic needs.

Sleep, nutrition, exercise, and water intake are all beneficial for brain health and functioning, which will help, manage the effects of stress.

2) Exercise regularly.

This is a little difficult due to the busy lifestyle that many college students have. However exercise and other types of physical activity help relieve stress/anxiety. Being more fit can make you feel better about yourself, too, which can lift your mood.

3) Stay connected.

As the weather changes, we seem to go back indoors and isolate ourselves from others. Too much time alone can cause feelings of loneliness and make symptoms worse. Reach out to your favorite people in your life and hang out.

4) Relax.

When we get consumed in our emotions, we tend to move faster to stay ahead of our stressful feelings. If you are becoming depressed or anxious during this time, you may find that a few deep breaths help to calm the tension.

5) Add a pop of color to your wardrobe or dorm room.

This is the perfect time to add color and brightness. Re-charging your environment/wardrobe may help to keep your spirits up (try yellows, oranges, and reds).

6) Talk about it.

Do not let these feelings completely consume you. Sometimes we all get in a little funk –and that’s okay! It’s natural. However don’t brush off that yearly feeling as simply a case of the “winter blues.” Take steps to keep your spirits high. If you feel down for weeks at a time, and you can’t get motivated to do activities you normally enjoy, see your doctor.

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.