Underground and Underground: Artists you Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Music is universal and should speak to everyone. With so many genres, there are so many to choose from and so many to love. Many of us can agree that we get stuck listening to the same artists and songs. I know we all love to be put onto new music and good vibes. Since we are in the midst of black history month it is only right that I put you guys onto some black artists that do not get enough hype or that you have not possibly heard of. These artists have produced music for other mainstream artists as well have even been featured or wrote music for them, but their music still does not get the hype or recognition it deserves.

These are just my opinions, and I hope you will love these artists as much as I have grown to love them. Their music is relatable and fresh.

• Nilla Allin: For all my ladies stuck in love with a guy or stuck in a situationship, this is the girl for you. Her lyrics will resonate and make you feel like she’s giving you a therapy session and knows the exact things you need to hear. The first song to listen to by her is, “Gotta Run.” This is a song you will sing at the top of your lungs.
  • Pink $weat: Now a lot of people know of him but do not listen to his music as much as they should his “Volume 1 & 2,” albums were hits and his newly released album, “Pink Moon,” is even better. He has such a vibe that deserves so much more hype than he gets.
  • Masego: Masego is my favorite now. His name has been associated with big deal artists such as Lucky Daye, Sabrina Claudio, and more. But his music by himself is top tier. His album, “Lady Lady,” is definitely something that a lot of people missed and I would be depriving you of heaven to your ears.
  • Cautious Clay: I found him in the most random way. Everyone has had those moments when they are scrolling through youtube and end up on the most random videos; that’s exactly how I found him. I was scrolling through youtube and eventually, the auto next played one of his songs and it had me, and I haven’t stopped listening since. All his songs are a hit. Listen to any one and you will not be disappointed.
  • Jorja Smith: I have listened to her music before and did not even know it was her. Once I found out, I never looked back. Her songs are just perfect for sitting around and absorbing good energy, or just to have noise in the background because it is calming yet grasps your attention. I recommend listening to her song, “A Prince.”

These songs are perfect for study sessions, driving around, and just listening to them on a regular basis. Happy Black History Month! Take this time and drown yourself in the culture. Support black underrated artists because they deserve their time to shine.

Haila Reed

Hampton U '24

hello, my name is Haila Renae Reed, and Communicative Sciences and Disorders major from Phoenix, Arizona, I attend Hampton University. I am an athlete, but my all-time favorite hobby is fashion styling and shopping and brain dumping