Clueless
Clueless
Paramount Pictures
Style > Fashion

Trendsetters: Popular Fashion Trends Birthed By Black Culture

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Paris Fashion Week 2024 has proven to be very promising in terms of trends, celebrity appearances, and of course everyone’s outfits. While it’s been fun gawking over everyone’s looks and the latest collections, it’s also a great time to get educated on the origin of various trends in fashion overtime. A lot of which have stemmed from Black culture, especially Black women and hip hop, and are still flaunted today. 

1. Street Style

From oversized shirts, jerseys, and hoodies to the baggy jeans and sneakers, everything about street style is hip hop. This was something directly birthed by hip hop and was actually hated by the big fashion brands that incorporate it into their collections now. There was a battle between hip hop and fashion in the 90s that fortunately led to the two being more accepting of each other in the form of special collections, ambassadorships, and jobs as creative directors. 

1. Bucket hats

Before this accessory’s popular association with rappers like Run DMC, LL Cool J, Biggie Smalls, and more, bucket hats were known as fisherman hats. Bucket hats went from being solely tied to hip hop to being showcased in shows by Prada. 

1. Nameplate necklaces

These necklaces originated in New York during the 70s and 80s as a way for Black and Brown women to showcase their “difficult” names. Despite their extensive popularity now as gifts to loved ones or even romantic partners, nameplate necklaces were deemed “ghetto” along with hoop earrings, slick-back hair, and lip gloss. You know, what’s now referred to as “the clean girl aesthetic.” We’ll discuss more about that one later …

1. “Logomania” 

We’re all familiar with the obsession over having logos where everyone can see them, but it’s time that the man behind that trend receive proper recognition. Dapper Dan is a Harlem legend that rose to fame due to his restructuring of designer clothing. While it had a tremendous impact on fashion, it initially landed him in legal trouble and caused his business to suffer despite working with many Black celebrities. 

1. Sneaker culture

Being a “sneakerhead” wasn’t always cool. The trend also contributed to a negative connotation about Black men. Sneaker culture rose to popularity in the 80s thanks to the collaboration between Nike and famed basketball player Michael Jordan. This relationship between hip hop and basketball birthed the “sneakerhead” trend that we know and love today.

1. “The Clean Girl” Aesthetic 

The hoop earrings, simple makeup, and slick-back buns have been rocked by Black and Brown women for decades. The look used to be deemed “ghetto” but now TikTok has rebranded it into the “clean girl” aesthetic. This garnered criticism, and rightfully so, from the very women that pioneered the look as it was essentially fashion-gentrification. 

Black culture is deeply rooted in so many aspects of entertainment and popular culture that it’s important to give credit where it’s due. Especially with entire generations continuing to be influenced by it and emulating it.

Aaliyah Pollard

Hampton U '25

Strategic Communications major from Augusta, GA who loves fashion, writing, and music