Thursday Recap: Instagram, Gladiators, and Queen Bey, OH MY!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Thursday, December 12 was a day full of big announcements and surprises! The morning started with Instagram announcing that they would be updating the social media app by adding the option for users to send direct photos to their followers. Direct messaging which is popular on Twitter and Facebook will now bring a new angle Instagram. Users of the app were very excited to download the update especially on Hampton University’s campus. 

Later on Thursday night, Gladiators braced themselves for the Scandal winter finale at 10pm. Our HerCampus Twitter timeline was buzzing with the craziness that was going on in Oliva Pope’s life. Viewers were also shocked that Scandal would be taking a two month hiatus before continuing with the season. New episodes of Scandal are not to return unitl February 27th! Yikes that’s a long time with out Liv and company.

What are us Gladiators to do until then… buy Beyonce’s album of course!

Mrs. Carter to the world by surprise by dropping her highly anticipated self-titled album Beyonce. The pop super star lauched her album via iTunes at midnight on December 13th. The artist made this huge announcement by posting  a 15 sec promotional video to her Instagram account with the video caption saying, “Suprise!”. The “visual” album includes 14 songs and 17 videos and was available for purchase for $15.99 on iTunes. There were reports of iTunes crashing due to the large capacity of people trying to download the alubm. Billboard has reported that 80,000 copies within the first three hours of purchase. The Bey Hive has been high active on all social media websites commenting about the album and their love for the “Single Ladies” artist. Hard copies of the album will be available for purchase next Friday, December 20th. 

It is an understatement to say that Thursday was a exciting day for media. Direct message via Instagram, find your sanity during this long Scanda break, and bow down once again to Queen Bey for having everyone in complete disarray. 

photos from Beyonce’s instagram and tumblr accounts.