This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As the nights get longer and the temperatures begin to drop, we often find ourselves longing to be in the warmth of someone else’s arms. For many of us not in a committed relationship, finding a wintertime partner to keep us cozy through the cold months is on the agenda. The task of finding love to keep our hearts warm this winter can be stressful, daunting, and at times can feel fruitless or lonely. As many of us bunker down this winter, it is ever more important that you nourish and protect your mind and body, whether you participate in cuffing season or not. 

Feeling lonely and isolated is not an uncommon dilemma during this time of year, especially this year due to last winter’s soaring COVID cases and strict lockdowns. As human beings, we all feel the desire for companionship and love; but at this time of year, it can become harder to achieve as life takes a slower pace and outdoor activities are limited due to the cold.

We spend the vast majority of the season alone and indoors, which is damaging to our mental health. Partnership, even if it’s short-term and not as deep as commitment, can increase our mental well-being throughout the winter months which is why participating in cuffing season can be a lifeline for many of us who are single. My advice for those participating this year is as follows:

Choose your partner wisely

It’s never a good idea to jump into any relationship without learning about the other person and building trust. 

Don’t Get Attached

Keep in mind that most partners in cuffing season are temporary and will most likely not last. 

Communication is key

If you’re looking for a short-term snuggle buddy, let your partner know. 

For some of us, we seek deeper, long-term relationships that cuffing season most likely won’t provide. On the other hand, some of us don’t want to date at the moment, but still need love and warmth to get us through the bleak, snowy months. Love doesn’t have to be found in a relationship. Love, and the security brought by it, can be found among family and friends as well. Rushing into a relationship this season due to feelings of societal pressure or loneliness can be something that’s difficult to not fall into.

Nonetheless, you have to be your top priority. If it doesn’t feel right, or if it isn’t what you need at this time in your life, there are so many ways to stay happy and healthy this winter; occupying yourself by staying active, strengthening bonds with friends and loved ones, and prioritizing your mental health (i.e. therapy, journaling, taking time for relaxation) are great alternatives to partaking in cuffing season.

Whether you choose to have a winter bae or make it through the season alone, your choice is valid. You are worthy and capable of having a love-filled, happy winter. Make sure you nourish your mind and body, as you should always be your top priority. So bundle up, turn up the heaters, and have a blissful cuffing season!

Zoë Westlund

Hampton U '25

Zoë Westlund (she/her) is a third-year education major at Hampton U from Manhattan, New York. When she's not writing or studying, she enjoys traveling, hiking, and going to the beach.