Canva

The Importance Of HBCUs In The Black Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Historically Black Colleges and Universities, also known as HBCUs, are what I believe to be the epitome of black excellence. From the people, the love, the hard work, the community, the passion, and most of all, the black beauty. HBCUs are everything and more and have great influence within the Black community. HBCUs hold much importance not only in the black college experience but also in our youth and future generations. It’s a constant reminder of how great you can be while being surrounded and pushed by people who look just like us. 

Being a part of this type of community provides one with a level of comfort and reassurance that is unexplainable. To be able to learn in a space where my skin isn’t viewed as a threat, but rather embraced wholeheartedly by my community is one of the many things HBCUs provide to our community.

A safe place to grow and thrive, while being your authentic self.  

Recognizing the importance of HBCUs is imperative, especially considering why it means so much to the Black community in particular. One thing that I am immensely thankful for, is the representation my HBCU provides me with constantly. Every day I am surrounded by educated black men and women who present what true black excellence looks like. For so many people, including myself,  this representation is so important and fuels so many of the successes we hope to endeavor. Moreover, students are able to learn about the foundations of our history from a lens that doesn’t include the eurocentric ideologies that so many school systems continue to preach. HBCUs emphasize and honor the history of Black culture and Black history in its true essence. 

HBCUs serve as an outlet for endless opportunities for the Black community to succeed. The culture, the compassion, and the love for our community are truly what I believe sets us apart from so many other colleges and universities. Choosing to attend an HBCU has unarguably been one of the best decisions I have made. I know that the wonderful community I have built here will follow me on my future journeys, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

Zoë Rose

Hampton U '25

Zoë Rose is currently third year Journalism major with an emphasis on English & Creative Writing from Watchung, New Jersey. When she's not writing, she enjoys listening to music, spending time with friends, and doing yoga <3