The Evolution of Reality TV

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

By: Laura Wiley

From the iconic lines that have laid the foundation for reality television, such as NeNe Leakes’s “I said what I said,” to America’s Next Top Model’s “I was rooting for you! We were all rooting for you,” and even “Kim, there’s people that are dying,” all of these moments have captivated viewers and left them craving for more.

The first reality TV show, Candid Camera, placed people in unusual situations and recorded their reactions; its first season aired in 1948. In 1973 the docuseries An American Family delved into real-life storylines about sexual identity and divorce. During the ’90s, reality TV offered an unscripted glimpse of real people in The Real World, covering topics like racism, LGBTQ rights, abortion, homelessness, and AIDS. This marked the inception of reality TV as a phenomenon.

As reality TV surged in popularity in the late 2000s and early 2010s, producers created scenarios to boost viewership, transforming ordinary people’s stories into edited narratives. This era saw many shows in the genre from American Idol, Big Brother, The Real Housewives, The Bachelor, and RuPaul’s Drag Race. As streaming platforms became more popular, there were even more content options. Executives capitalized on this trend, creating addictive and quick content.

While viewers revel in iconic scenes and lines with their eyes glued to the illuminated screen, reality TV castmates often face challenging working conditions. Contestants on the reality spinoff series Squid Games: The Challenge have reported suffering from injuries on set. According to some contestants, they suffered injuries including hyperthermia and nerve damage. Love Is Blind season two contestant Jeremy Hartwell sued Netflix and show producers last year, alleging inhumane working conditions on set. The conditions included 24-hour isolation upon arrival on set and 20-hour workdays that had poor food and excess alcohol. Behind-the-scenes rules on shows like The Bachelor require mandatory attendance at the infamous rose ceremony, regardless of its duration, which can last from nighttime until early morning.

The evolution of reality TV has mesmerized viewers and fueled a desire for more. From the groundbreaking, Candid Camera to The Real Housewives, reality TV has pushed boundaries. However, as the genre has gained in popularity, there has been manipulation of storylines and poor treatment of contestants behind the scenes. Despite these challenges, reality TV is here to stay entertaining audiences, sparking conversation, and offering a platform for people who might not otherwise be seen in mainstream media.

References:

https://www.workerscompensation.com/daily-headlines/reality-show-contestants-claim-injuries-inhumane-working-conditions/#:~:text=Earlier%20this%20year%20%E2%80%9CLove%20is,them%20and%20caused%20them%20to

https://time.com/collection/reality-tv-most-influential-seasons/6199108/reality-tv-influence-on-world/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/04/reality-tv-stars-hollywood-strikes

Laura Wiley

Hampton U '25

Hi, My name is Laura Wiley. I am a third-year journalism major from Baltimore, Maryland. When she’s not writing she is shopping, drinking chai, and doing yoga.