Style

Stephen Thompson has Peace With God and a Lane of His Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Once in a while, you come across somebody whose existence is so authentically their own that you have no choice but to pay attention- that’s what happened with Stephen. 

Stephen Thompson is a graduating senior, computer science major from Clinton, Maryland. In addition to being one of the more substantial men on Hampton University’s campus, Stephen doubles as the founder of the fashion, media, and lifestyle entity, Peace With God, LLC. As described by Thompson himself, the inspiration behind Peace With God, LLC., comes from Romans 5:1, which states, “Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

The brand offers a diverse pallet of clothing, aiming to be a source of comfortability for followers of Christ, all while allowing them to share the Good news to all who are fortunate enough to get a glimpse of these closet essentials.

This week, I had the opportunity to speak with Stephen about the concept, vision, and range behind Peace With God. Thompson narrated his journey of how God elevated an occasional fashion connoisseur into a fully functioning CEO. 

How would you define Peace With God? 

ST:I only call Peace With God a brand because it comes to mind when you think of clothing and content. In reality, it’s so much more than that. I think to call it a business would be more fitting.  Beyond the clothing line, I’ve implemented a platform called “Authenticity” which is a media outlet purposed to present a variety of gifts, talents, and abilities meant to share the Good News. In short, Peace With God does it all. It provides clothes. It provides content. It shares the gospel. Outside of the merchandise, Peace With God provides a way for people to receive Jesus at no cost. 

What inspired you to create Peace With God? 

ST: During my junior year at Hampton I started to design different pieces of clothing for myself, just because I wanted to get into fashion. My friends and family took notice, and it began there. At their request, I was creating pieces for them too. When verbal orders grew beyond what my memory could manage, I created a google form. I really didn’t set out to create a clothing brand; this was meant to be my own form of creative expression. But with such a positive, consistent reception, I felt like God was encouraging me not to hold back, but to allow my creativity to bless people, so long as they sought it out. God inspired the brand more than anything. None of what you see now was ever my intention, but because God ordered my steps and gave me direction, I’ve been allowed to go beyond anything I ever had in mind. 

How would you describe your style? 

ST: Versatile. Unique. I mean, I’m not just going outside and seeing a guy in baggy, “Jesus” printed clothes with Clarks on- but that’s me. Right now, I’m becoming more of who I want to be and I’m becoming more unashamed of what I want to wear. I refuse to be defined by what culture depicts as expectancy. My style is a reflection of my relationship with God. It’s out of the box, it’s diverse, and it’s completely my own, unable to be defined by anyone’s standards besides my own. 

When did you realize fashion was a passion? 

ST: Fashion first caught my eye in high school while I was watching professional basketball. Seeing the NBA players come through the tunnel in their outfits ignited my interest more than anything. I looked up to Lebron and Russell Westbrook the most; I would take their outfits and try to channel them the best way I could with what I had at the time. Coming to Hampton brought me a different type of inspiration; seeing everybody so intent on upkeeping a well-put-together presentation pushed me to experiment with my own style. It was a learning process, but what isn’t? I looked tacky at first, but that’s because I was dressing how I thought I should vs. how I truly wanted to. Once I tuned out the noise and coordinated based on my personal tastes, it all came together. 

How does the premise of the brand reflect your lifestyle?

ST: Right now, I have three main passions: music, fashion, and technology. Through Peace With God, I’m able to channel all three. My lifestyle revolves around my passions, but with the brand, I’m able to expand their utilization for a purpose greater than my own satisfaction, a purpose that assures God gets all of the glory. I aim to live my life the same way, according to God’s will. 

What is the biggest lesson you learned while on the path of entrepreneurship? 

ST: I’ve learned quite a few thus far. For starters, trial and error are necessary for growth (error is inevitable). Stay ahead and be proactive in completing tasks. Good customer service is essential to retaining customer relationships and creating an intimate brand-to-consumer dynamic. 

What are some of your wardrobe staples? 

ST: This was a tough one. For shoes, my Yeezys’. For actual pieces, hoodies, cropped pants- whether they’re jeans or trousers- and at least one baseball cap. 

How do you maintain a constant flow of inspiration? 

ST: The vision for the brand as stated on the website is, “inspired by God, designed by me.” I can never take complete credit or exemplify external sources of inspiration because all of this is by God’s grace. My flow of inspiration is supplied by God, and if I’m ever stuck, it’s because I didn’t go to Him as a resource or guide initially- as I was supposed to. 

What’s next for Peace With God?

ST: On a short-term range, I intend to expand with a line called “versatility.” The goal of this line is for each piece to be workable in all categories of style. If you have to do business-pro for a presentation, you can wear a Peace With God button down. If you need to do business casual for work, you can wear a Peace With God polo, and so forth. I want Peace With God to be inclusive, to not have a target audience because it accommodates and welcomes the masses. On a long-term front, I can’t say where Peace With God will go because it’s not up to me. I’m only moving where God wants me to move, and at the timing when He wants me to move. 

After speaking with Stephen Thomspon, I learned that reducing Peace With God to that of a clothing brand is simply insufficient; it’s an empire in the making. A key takeaway from my conversation with Stephen was that for him, Peace With God exceeds transactionality. It’s a business because there was a need for structure, but in an ideal world, all products would be complementary.  I was delighted to speak with Stephen Thompson. His originality and humility were uncanny and the strength of his faith can be felt even through the phone, states away. Stephen is passionate, and if nothing else, absolutely certain in his position as a vessel to be used by the creator. I can’t wait to see where the will of God leads Peace With God. 

Be sure to follow @stephen.isaiah.t and @peace_with_God.brand on Instagram, and visit the website https://peace-with-god.square.site to stay up to date on all restocks and new releases. 

Cheyenne Paterson is a senior English major, Strategic Communications minor studying at Hampton University from Boston, MA. She aspires to combine storytelling and an editorial style of writing to increase audience engagement and advocate for brands and corporations. Cheyenne is the Editor-In-Chief for Hampton University's Chapter of Her Campus, a regular contributor to Impressions of Beauty, and the President of the Peer Counselor's organization on campus. In her free time, Cheyenne enjoys dabbling in interior design, perfecting her homemade coffee, and baking new recipes!
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.