Spotted: Is Black Excellence Taking Over?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

So, this week we’re going to take the time to shine the light on a few black celebs that are inspiring to us and have been doing the damn thing this year. There are many celebs who have been on a “winning” streak lately that continue to show the prevalence of black excellence. Could this be an epidemic? Is it too much to handle? Let’s check out some of the excellence that has many people at the edge of their chairs. 

1. Rihanna: This year has been Rihanna’s year !! I know some of y’all are kind of tight because she still hasn’t realized new music, but sis has been elevating her brand this whole year. The most inspiring thing Rihanna could’ve done was to give us a fashion show. Her fashion show that just passed in New York, Rihanna’s Savage X Fenty Show was the epitome of black girl magic/excellence. Her show was inclusive and diverse. Let’s Go Ri!  

1. Beyonce: I don’t know about y’all but some remakes are just too damn good This summer Beyonce gave us her beautiful voice for the remake of the Lion King along with a whole album. More recently, she gave her fans a documentary titled “Beyonce Presents: Making The Gift”. In this documentary, she gives us a chance to see how her family has grown and all the hard work she put into this project. Not only do we get to see that but we also see the rise of Miss Blue Ivy Carter. We stan a queen forever and always !!

1. Ava Duvernay: Ava Duvernay is not new to the Hollywood industry, but she has been receiving plenty of recognition based on some of her new projects. Mostly known for 13th, Selma, Queen Sugar, Girl’s Trip, A Wrinkle In Time and of course When They See Us. When They See Us, a documentary of the Exonarted Five has many people talking. The docu-series were touching and insightful giving many people the chance to become familiar with some new actors. Ava absolutely gives black actors/actresses the chance to shine and we have to say, we love that. 

1. Jharrel Jerome: Jharrel Jerome played King Korey Wise, in When They See Us and recently won an Emmy for his performance. The importance of his role and the importance of him being an Afro-Latino and from the BRONX !! , shows representation throughout. He’s an inspiration for many black boys and I hope he continues to shine. 

1. Normani: Normani has shown us true black girl magic, especially with her new project Motivation and she was in Rihanna’s fashion show! Not only can she sing, but sis has bawdy and did y’all see her serving in her Motivation video? Is it possible that she can be the new queen of pop? We love to see it. 

Willow Jones

Hampton U '21

Willow is a Criminal Justice major from Harlem, New York. Willow has hopes of becoming a criminal defense attorney. In her spare time, she loves writing and hopes to merge law and writing together in the future.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.