This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Boo! It’s “cuffing” season. This is the season where everyone tries to find their significant others (to make a roster really). But… Only a select few really get into real relationships. The others…yeah they’re in situationships. What’s a situationship you may ask? Well, it is a relationship without the labeling. The spending times together, going on dates, having sexual intercourses but without the loyalty. Now in this day and age it’s sad that this is normalized. Let’s truly dig deeper into this. 

There are different situations where situationships have begun: 

• Having an ex who you still connect with 
  • A friends who you starting hooking up with (friends with benefits)
  • Two people who like each other but never labeled the relationship
  • & many more circumstances

Let’s talk about things in situationships that could make you feel happy. Having someone to truly lay back on, to be there when you need a hand or someone to release stress in more ways than one. Having someone to go out with to places, museums, beaches, aquariums, zoos, movies. Someone to physically tend to you, that’s what makes situationships truly worth is but is it healthy? 

Let’s talk about what isn’t good about situationships. The part when you catch feelings for them and can’t tell them because you don’t want to ruin what you guys have. To feel jealous when they are talking to other women, or telling you who else they are hooking up with. The idea that they are doing things with other women that they were/are doing With You. From a woman’s perspective, and as women, it feels very degrading to know that you are just a number on his roster.

There is a solution to this . COMMUNICATE

Express your feelings about how you are truly feeling and if they don’t want the same, I think you will be better off single. Being in a relationship with someone who doesn’t really want that can be hard on your mental health, and hard on your self-confidence.

Some college students view relationships as temporary, to be hooking up with multiple people and basically using people for their body. 

In conclusion: To be happy and healthy and to not stress over men I truly think being single is better than being in a situationship. 

Morgan Williams

Hampton U '25

Hello, my name is Morgan Williams and I am a psychology major and minor in political science on the prelaw track, I run Track and Field and I enjoy writing