This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

There always seems to be a certain reaction, a certain feeling when we hear the word Saltburn. This 2023 winter movie that has shocked the internet is no ordinary movie. It’s a movie about obsession, power, and greed. The movie was all over the internet causing a shock with some scenes that are not something you liked to see. It seems that there is a certain audience that really enjoyed the movie, others seemed to not like the movie but came to a realization that this movie is far deeper than what is shwon on the surface.

As you read this article, there may be some spoilers so beware. Now the movie starts off at Oxford University in England, it shows scenes of students talking and having a lot of friends. While there is one character, Oliver, who is a loner but wonders what life is like through one of the popular students’ lives. He then encounters one of the specific popular and most loved character Felix, who has a flat tire on his bike. Oliver offers him his bike and the rest is history, they then became very close friends very quickly. 

One night they were at a party and Felix sees a girl from afar. Felix has the power to get any woman he wants, so she immediately leaves with him. Seems like a regular movie, right? Nothing special but that night Oliver is creeping through Felix’s window watching him hook up with this girl. This is the part of the movie where you think to yourself, oh well that’s not very normal, maybe he is just jealous or obsessed with Felix, but this might happen. It just seems that Oliver is very fond of Felix, the next day Oliver gets a call and begins to cry, he runs to Felix house and says that his dad died and was balling his eyes out to Felix. Oliver really just wanted an excuse to talk to Felix because it seemed after he had found that girl there was a distance between them. 

After that night, Felix and Oliver hung out all day everyday they began talking about their summer plans, Oliver says that he doesn’t have any plans and that his mom is a drug addict and his family is poor. Felix invited him to his mansion called Saltburn. The scene changes to Oliver coming into the mansion. It was in awe, the mansion has dozens of rooms. Felix was the sweetest person and most humble person, he didn’t act like he had money. Olivers has a lust for Felix though he also has envy for him because he wants his life. I don’t want to get into too many details and cause spoilers but the movie will have your jaw dropped. The way that Oliver takes obsession to another level. Oliver’s confidence grew throughout the movie and gives you a new definition of manipulation and power. He had the ability to make everyone in the family fall in love with him, just to overpower them. This movie is full of lust, envy, lies, manipulation, power and obsession. You should give it a watch, don’t say I didn’t warn you, some specific scenes are like no other.

Morgan Williams

Hampton U '25

Hello, my name is Morgan Williams and I am a psychology major and minor in political science on the prelaw track, I run Track and Field and I enjoy writing