This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Robyn “Rihanna” Fenty is known as one of the biggest pop stars of our generation alongside Queen Bey. This pop superstar created eight studio albums before expanding her brand through other business ventures. Rihanna is now the owner of cosmetic line Fenty Beauty, lingerie line Savage X, and fashion house Fenty. If you thought the music industry was the only thing she would dominate, you have sadly mistaken. Rihanna’s brands are an extension of her showing how creative, sexy, and inclusive she is. Consequently, Rihanna is the wealthiest female musician in the world making her fans overly proud of her accomplishments. 

Once a part of the Rihanna Navy, always a part of the Rihanna Navy, but people stan more than ever. Rihanna has broken barriers and been an inspiration to all people of color. She pushed through the adversity she faced with her abusive addict father and domestic violence issues with then-boyfriend pop singer Chris Brown to become the mogul she is today. 

Rihanna introduced her first business, Fenty Beauty, in September 2017 and made $100 million within the first few weeks according to Forbes magazine. Unlike many other cosmetic brands, Fenty Beauty’s first release included 40 shades to show the diversity within skin complexion. Not to my surprise, the darker shades were sold out in Sephora stores and online at Fentybeauty.com (where the brand is exclusively sold). Rihanna and her team made strides in the right direction to ensure that people of color would be represented throughout this brand. Her success is credited to the use of social media. The Fenty Beauty team has done most of its marketing through Rihanna’s personal Instagram account with over 78.M followers and through sponsorships with influencers on YouTube. 

Just when we thought that was all she had up her sleeve, she introduced Savage X that she co-owns with TechStyle Fashion Group. Savage X is a lingerie line that caters to all body types. Rihanna promotes body positivity throughout this line, and most recently during NYFW where she had unconventional models show off her pieces. Although it is not as big as Victoria’s Secret, yet, it has still produced over $150 million in sales adding on to her fortune. She didn’t name this line Savage for no reason. Rihanna is planning to dominate all the industries she’s in.

Last year Rihanna launched her clothing line Fenty that geared toward high-end clothing, shoes, accessories, and jewelry. Rihanna has always been known for her streetwear looks, so she created this line to align with her take on fashion. Some of us broke people (me included) were upset that her prices were so high, but then realized what she was trying to do. She wanted to compete with those high-end brands. So, shortly after its launch, LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessey) offered to make Fenty one of its fashion houses which became the first fashion house they added in over 30 years according to Forbes. She has made history and looks good while doing it. She’s such an inspiration.

Rihanna is a mogul of our time because she is fearless and adamant about bringing the change the world needs to see. She’s the baddest bad gal in the market and continues to be the light for other women of color. I’m sure Rihanna has much more in store for her Navy (I’m secretly, no, openly hoping it’s another album). 

Naomi Ludlow

Hampton U '20

Naomi Ludlow currently attends Hampton University where she is studying journalism. Originally from Chicago, IL., she loves city life and the different cultures and cuisine that is showcased. Naomi is a social media fanatic and dance enthusiast.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.