This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

If you were unsuccessful last semester, spring semester is your time for redemption. It is okay if you did not get the grades you wanted last semester, there is always room for improvement and these tips will help you get on track for that seemingly elusive 4.0 gpa.

1. HAVE A PLANNER. Personally, my planner is as important to me as the Bible. It is literally your guide for everything you do. I always carry it with me to write down assignments, tests dates or random events and tasks that pop up. It helps you organize your study schedule and assignments as well as your social life.

2. READ the Syllabus. Professors give you a syllabus for a reason and that is to give you an outline of what to expect in the class. I recommend annotating your syllabi for important things like projects, tests and policies. In my experience, professors give a calendar or course outline for how the course will go and show important dates as well. Personally, I print the course outline out and tape it up somewhere near my desk area and as the semester progresses I strike out what I have done. It also gives you the chance to complete things ahead of time if possible.

3. Color Coding is Key. In my planner, my classes are color coded and assignments, tests and school events also have their own color or design (box, circle, dots and etc.) This way everything is organized and does not look unorganized.

4. Make an assignment list. Create a spreadsheet and list each and every assignment, test, project and etc. In this way it is like you are checking off everything that you need to do throughout the semester. Checking things off is so satisfying that you will continue to do it.

5. Get a calendar/whiteboard. Just like a planner this is another way to see everything you need visually and as a reminder. I am all about having everything in multiple places therefore there is nothing that can go wrong, right?

6. Use your phone. This goes with the point above. Apps like the Reminders to help you perform tasks that due, Timers to help you study for a period of time and the Calendar to see visually and plan accordingly.

7. Make to-do lists. Often times, I make a to-do lists for the week and I prioritize based on what I have to do. Tasks that take less time are easier I usually do first. This way I feel a sense of accomplishment and move on to more time consuming and harder tasks..

8. Ahead of time rule. This for long-span work that you may have a week(s) to do. For example a 10 page paper or project.  I essentially put time away for at least 30 minutes to work on it daily up until the due date. If I am really proactive and stay ahead of schedule I typically finish a day or two before the due date. Basically, if you can knock out something in 30 minutes or less go ahead and do it instead of waiting till the last minute.

9. Have a clean space. This is so important because I think a clean environment such as your desk or room in general helps your learning.If you’re someone like me I cannot do my work while sitting in bed, if I do, I tend to fall asleep or do something else. A clean desk is like a breath of fresh air to me, for some reason it makes me relaxed and motivated to work. I encourage you to work at your desk in your room or some place quiet like the library.

Be persistent and have faith. Since I like to work at my desk, I have affirmations, mantras or positive vibes….whatever they’re called, on post-it notes around my desk. I look up at these and they give me motivation. For example one is: “I am a nurse” because I am a nursing major and that is what I am currently in school for and  I want to speak it into existence.

Her Campus Contributor Account 
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com