Style > Beauty

The “Protection” Behind Protective Styles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Protective hairstyles are used to protect hair from shedding, tangling and manipulation. There are many types of protective styles such as braids, weaves and even buns. While putting one’s  hair in a protective hairstyle they are allowing it to take control of itself and grow naturally. When it comes down to braids, twist or sew in weaves, it is important to remember that the whole point is to “protect” the hair follicles. With that being said, braids should never be too tight or cause too much stress on the hairline. This can lead to hair bumps which will result in hair loss.

Protective styles are a college girl’s best friend! Around campus one will see many girls walking around with a protective style. Protective styles are versatile and serve many purposes. College itself is stressful and tedious. Who wants to worry about their hair on top of classes, studying, and exams? Protective styles gives the average college girl a break from doing her hair every morning. Below you will find some popular protective styles found on campus!

The Wonderful World of Weave?!

Who needs the manipulation of your own hair when you can manipulate someone else’s? From sew-ins to wigs to quick weaves, there’s nothing like giving your real hair a break while still rocking gorgeous locks. This is as protective as it gets so no need to fret! Read more for our favorite tips, do’s and don’ts.

DO’S

BLEND BLEND BLEND!

Ladies the point of weave is to make it look like it’s grown out of your head. The goal is to match your natural hair texture with the weave texture.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR WEAVE

Quality weave can last up to two years. With that being said, it is important to take care of your weave like it’s your natural hair. This includes washing, conditioning, and daily maintenance.

GO TO A PROFESSIONAL

For the best results, your best bet is to go to a stylist who knows exactly what they’re doing.

DON’TS

LET YOUR TRACKS SHOW

Nothing is worse than a detectable weave. Leave an appropriate amount of your hair out so the tracks of the weave can be easily covered.

“FRY” YOUR WEAVE

Although it isn’t your real hair, it isn’t good to put heat on it daily. Just like our real hair, weave can thin out break off too.

PUT YOUR WEAVE IN AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE IT

Because demand for weave is so high, you never know where it is coming from. Companies may not wash or detect hair thoroughly. It is best to take the initiative and cleanse the hair before installing it into your head.

Hairstyle How to’s: Natural Hair Edition:

The twist out

The twist out hairstyle is the end result  of two strand twists.

Step 1. Section your hair in 4-8 sections

Step 2. Take one section and moisturize it with a dime size of Cantu leave in conditioner

Step 3. With that same section rub a drop of castor oil

Step 4. Moisturize the section with your choice of curl cream

Step 5. Split the section into two even sections and twists them from root to ends

Step 6. Repeat steps 1-5 with the other sections

Step 7. Unravel twists and style to desired look after about 7 hours

The “Wash & Go”

The Wash & Go is as simple as its name.

Step 1. Use your regular wash and condition routine

Step 2: Wrap hair in 100% cotton t shirt

Step 3. Moisturize hair with your choice leave in conditioner

Step 4. Coat hair strands in your choice curling cream or gel

Step 5. Diffuse hair or let it air dry

The High Puff (FINEapple)

Step 1: Start with a fresh or old twist out

Step 2: Pick out roots with a comb to make hair appear bigger

Step 2: Cut an old stocking to use as a tie, then cut the tie in half

Step 3: Lay your hair upward with your choice of gel

Step 4: tie the tie around your forehead and begin to push it upward to your desired puff

Natural Hair is very time consuming and it may take a bit of practice to achieve one’s desired hairstyle. Don’t get discouraged and remember, YouTube is your best friend for finding hair tutorials! Happy Styling!

Kibriya Kafele

Hampton U '21

Kibriya Kafele is a second year strategic communications major from Jersey City, NJ. Kibriya's dream job is to become a marketing manager and the CEO of her own company. In her free time she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, and watching Netflix. More on Kibriya can be found on her Instagram: @kibriya_ and her twitter: @kibriyaaa.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.