Post-Grad Diaries: Barry Jones on Law School, Imposter Syndrome, & Maintaining Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

*Welcome to Post-Grad Diaries: a new series diving into life after college from those who know it best. College grads. I’ll be interviewing various college graduates from all different backgrounds on all things post-grad from post-grad depression to job hunting & more. This is for any current students or recent graduates looking to gain more insight on the reality of the transition to adulthood.*

Barry Jones

Alma Mater: Hampton University

Grad Year: 2021

Occupation: JD Candidate, 1L law school student at Southern University Law Center

Industry: Legal Services / Grad Student

Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

What was your major while in college and did you end up sticking with that career path after graduation?

BJ: I was an English major at Hampton, and I just stuck with it. English isn’t a common major that people associate with law school, but law school is a ton of reading. It’s all about critical thinking and analysis, and as an English major, I was able to build those skills. So yeah, I say although it’s not like political science or anything like that, I stuck with the career path. I went into undergrad knowing that I was going to major in English to build those skills for law school.

How did you go about selecting where you wanted to go to law school? What advice do you have for students trying to figure it out for themselves?

BJ: For me, it was a little bit of a hodgepodge. I was obviously looking at top programs that I felt could offer me the best resources. Scholarships also came into play, but I got accepted into quite a few schools so I had a lot of tough decisions to make. Since I attended an HBCU for undergrad, my affiliation and my love for HBCUs really grew strong, and I wanted to continue to contribute to that space. As far as advice goes, I would tell people to figure out what impact it is that they want to have career-wise, and select a school that can best put you in a position to achieve your goal. When I heard from Southern, we immediately started negotiating the money side of things. But in speaking with the chancellor, it was clear to me that they have a vested interest. Not only in making sure that their students can attend law school comfortably, but that they will succeed while we’re there as well.

I would tell students interested in attending law school that rankings are superficial. Don’t let that dictate where it is that you attend. Really delve deep into what it is that the school offers you as far as; additional resources, secondary resources, mental health resources, etc. Truly decide if the law school has an interest in seeing you succeed.

Being a first-year student, what has your experience in law school been like, and what advice do you have for those graduating and going into law school soon?

BJ: What they say about imposter syndrome is very true. When I first got to law school, I felt a little lost and not quite sure how to operate the space because it was so different. You’re surrounded by people who are type A, who are just like you just as if not more intelligent than you. It is a very competitive environment. Once I got used to it, I felt like I acclimated well, and I think that’s because I’m going to an HBCU law school. The culture aspect of it was easier to become acclimated to because it’s a more comfortable space.

General rule of advice for people who are getting ready to graduate and enter law school, is remember why it is that you’re going. Sometimes it’s easy to get lost. It’s very repetitive. You’re reading hundreds of pages a night, doing briefing cases, practice essays, practice multiple choice questions, etc. Sometimes because our only grade is our final which comes at the end of the semester, it feels like you kind of get lost sometimes. But if you remember why it is that you’re there, what your overall purpose is, and even if you’re not 100% sure what it is, keep that close to you. Use that as your driving force going through, because it’s difficult to stay inspired and stay on top of things all the time. I will also say grant yourself grace. Don’t compare yourself to people. There are people which we call gunners, who do nothing but study. They attempt to answer every question in class. Don’t get caught up comparing yourself to them. Move at your own speed and do what works for you.

Did you ever experience post-grad depression after undergrad? If so, what was that experience like for you and what advice do you have for others?

BJ: I would say the transition from undergrad to law school was very stressful. I worked really hard to get myself down here because I didn’t have much help, so there were times when I was sad. Like, for example, I had to work. I was working nights at Amazon to save up money so I can make it down here. I wouldn’t qualify it as post-grad depression because it’s not like in the same space, but there was a point in times where I wasn’t sure if I was gonna make it, and my parents were there to support me, but at the same time, I had to make it happen on my own. So yeah, it was tough.

My advice for people who have to make things happen on their own to get to law school or just anybody who just recently graduated, is to see it through. It’s hard when your current circumstances are not what it is that you want it to be. I would just really urge people to see it through no matter what and just keep their head down and keep working.

After college, your friends kinda disperse across the country. How did you navigate staying in touch as well as building new connections in a new place?

BJ: It was really tough. I realized that I had to be very intentional about staying in contact with my friends because everyone is doing their own thing. Some people are going to grad school, starting jobs and families, all types of stuff. I had to put the onus on myself to reach out to people. You know, check in with people even if it is just sending a funny Instagram post or randomly calling out the blue.

In terms of building new connections, I’ve never been to Louisiana before and it was very lonely. Before school started, I didn’t know anybody. So when I got to school, it was kind of strange navigating the space. Luckily, I knew some faces from the pre-law institute, so I was able to make some friends there. I say if you’re graduating and know that you’re moving away to go to school again, obviously rely on the school to build meaningful relationships, but just because you build new relationships doesn’t mean that you neglect the old ones. So just be super intentional about maintaining relationships. It’s not about talking every day or anything like that. We all have friends that we talk to every once in a while, but it’s just about being intentional about maintaining a relationship.

What is the most valuable lesson Hampton has taught you that has stuck with you after graduation?

BJ: Be confident in your abilities. Be confident in what it is that you do, who you are, and be unapologetically yourself. I feel like I have respect for people who are themselves no matter what. During college, I tried not to acclimate to the norms, especially the social norms. I felt like I was respected because of that and because I kept my values close to me. I think Hampton taught me to stay confident and unapologetically myself at all times, no matter what.

What advice do you have for seniors who are getting ready to graduate, and are anxious about life after college, as well as ones trying to soak up the little time left of undergrad that they have?

BJ: Live in the moment. It’s true when they say college is the best four years of your life. After that, things do get different but you know, the whole thing about time moving fast is that it’s all perception. Live in the moment, enjoy everything now, build meaningful relationships, and make sure that you keep in contact with your friends that you are in college with now. I think it helps things and sorts of eases the anxiety of being out of that prospective space that is college.

Follow Barry on Instagram @btha.god

Raven Harper

Hampton U '22

Raven Harper @raejhene is a Graduating Senior at Hampton University studying Journalism and Marketing. She serves as the campus correspondent over Hampton's chapter. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking new things, iced coffee and endless scrolling on pinterest.