This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

From the global pandemic, the resurfacing of public awareness for social justice issues, to the recent riots organized by disgruntled “patriots”, there has been a lot going on in America. With all of these negative things taking place (many stemming from the former president), it can be really easy for people to be distracted from all of the great things that have been happening in politics. Through this past election, Americans have been able to use their votes to put in place people that will help America down the long path of recovery. There is a lot of history being made in America and a good bit to be excited about. 

Georgia’s First African American Senator

As of December 2020, Georgia has elected its first African American senator, Raphael Warnock. Warnock- better known as Reverend Warnock- will also be only the eleventh African American person to be elected to the senate, and he has dedicated himself to helping make great change in America.

Missouri’s First African American Woman in Congress

After the November election, Cori Bush became the first African American woman to represent Missouri in congress. Bush is a nurse, Black Lives Matter activist, and community leader. In her position, she plans to serve those in need and continue to do what is best for the people. 

Vice President Kamala Harris 

America’s newest vice president, Kamala Harris, is the first in her position for many demographics. She is the first woman, African American, Asian American and HBCU graduate to be vice president. Vice President Harris is very accustomed to breaking glass ceilings as she has been the first of her kind to hold every office position she has ever won. Vice President Kamala Harris, a woman of color and a HBCU graduate, is now the most powerful woman in the United States.

President Joe Biden’s Cabinet

President Biden’s cabinet is the most diverse cabinet in history. This is great because America finally has a cabinet that represents the different demographics of America. This will give the government a better chance at meeting the needs of everyone in America and not just a select few.

In these hard times, everyone should try to focus on the good things. There are good things happening!

Kierstyn Chambers is a first year English Education Major, from Birmingham, Alabama. She enjoys helping people and making the people around her happy. She plans to become a teacher and try to help low income school systems. She also loves movies and poetry.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!