Pirates Abroad: Giselle Rodriguez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

HC: How did you decide where you wanted to go?

Giselle: I always wanted to go to London. It was between London or Italy. I knew that London was a major global city. I admire British style and it’s very similar to New York City, which is where I’m from.  So I felt like it would be fun for me to adapt to the environment.

HC: How did you choose which travel program to use?

Giselle: I found out about the program through one of my friends who went to Italy. I did research and saw how they offered London. So it was really all because of my friend, which made things a whole lot easier. It saved me a lot of trouble because that’s the most difficult part of the studying abroad process.

HC: What classes did you take while in London?

Giselle: I took a lot of journalism classes. I earned about their news values and how their journalists do things over there. I took Crime in the Media, a Youth Crime and Violence class, Education Issues and Equalities and Features and London Social Trends. So I got to learn all about the economical issues in London and about some of the serious issues they’re facing.

HC: What was your favorite part about the different culture?

Giselle: I enjoyed they way that they talk. They have different ways of mannerisms and say things differently than Americans do. Also, their style was different, which I really loved. I’m really into fashion. So I loved seeing people put different pieces together.  The architecture is really historic. It was really nice and great for photography.

HC: What was your favorite experience while being in London?

Giselle: Actually, my favorite part was when I traveled to Italy for spring break. I traveled to different places while I was in London and that was the most memorable! 

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.