An Open Letter to Trump Supporters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Dear Trump Supporter,

Congratulations, on Wednesday October 9th Donald J. Trump was elected the 45th President of the United States. You probably cried tears of joy, and celebrated with your friends, but many Americans did not feel the same. I, as well as thousands of other people in the country were crushed. Donald Trump winning the election hit me like a ton of bricks, and I was speechless. While you were crying tears of joy, many minorities were crying tears of sorrow. While you celebrated with your friends, there were families left in shock and preparing for the worst. On October 9th women, Blacks, Latinos, Muslims, the LGBTQ community, and plenty of other minorities took a huge slap in the face because of you. You were too busy thinking about yourself and how this would benefit you. When you went out and voted for Donald Trump you basically sent out a big screw you to everybody considered different in this country. By voting for Trump you are not making America great again. America was never great. Home of the free and land of the brave does not apply to everyone. When you voted for Trump you also voted in favor of sexism, racism, and hate. When you voted for Trump you became a part of the problem in this country. America encourages people to vote, but I wish that you didn’t. I wish that you stayed inside on November 8th because your vote will not push America forward but set it back years.

When you went to the polls to vote for Trump, you should’ve asked yourself, ‘Is it worth it?’ You should’ve asked yourself, ‘Is my own happiness worth the heartache and sorrow of others?’ ‘Is my own happiness more important than the thousands of minorities that will now have to endure racial slurs being thrown at them daily?,’ because Donald Trump has made it okay. Is your happiness worth thousands of immigrants being snatched away from their families and the homes that they have built here? You have to be one of the most selfish people in the world if you answered yes to any of these questions. Since you voted for Trump, the hate crimes in America have sky-rocketed to numbers that make me cringe. Since you voted for Trump, Muslim women have been questioning if they should wear their hijabs. Since you voted for Trump, black people have been transported back 100 years.

Trump isn’t even officially the President yet, and people like you who voted for him have lost their minds. Trump may make you feel as though you can treat everyone that’s considered different in America like dirt, but that’s not okay. You will not run over us. You will not tear us down. You will not break down the people that literally built America with their bare hands. Your candidate might have won, but your hate will not win. With that being said go ahead and knuck because the minorities in this country are more than capable of bucking back.

Sincerely,

A Black Woman

Just a black girl who's constantly flourishing.