mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

The Only Real Criminals are in the Heart of our Government

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Another criminal indictment upon the Trump administration team. First, it was Michael Cohen, who was Trump’s lawyer, looking at serving time for obstruction of justice and tampering. Now, his longtime former advisor, Roger Stone, is being indicted by U.S. special counsel in the emails regarding Russia. At this point, it is not surprising that someone within the government under Trump’s team has been accused of another illegal criminal activity. Special counselor, Robert S. Mueller III charged and arrested Roger Stone at his Florida home in  Fort Lauderdale, with charges of obstruction, giving invalid statements, and witness tampering. These charges were brought up upon Mueller’s investigation into the Russian’s tampering with the presidential election. Stone has often been categorized as a sneaky person and has denied any relations with Wikileaks during the 2016 campaign. A grand jury from the District of Columbia’s U.S. District Court indicted him on one count of obstruction of justice, five counts of making invalid statements, and one count of witness tampering.

Stone appeared in court Friday morning but was given a release bond of $250,000 by the judge. This is simply an obstruction of justice of how easy Stone walked out of this indictment upon a bond, and showing his victory Stone left the courthouse sporting double-Vs for victory. Stone stated to reporters “ I will plead not guilty to these charges. I will defeat them in court.” His loyalty to the president and his administration almost seems cult-like in that individuals would risk their own life for not telling the truth. Although his loyalty is strong, the same loyalty from the Trump administration like the press secretary, Sarah Sanders, emphasizes that the charges against Stone do not personally involve the president, and only involves Stone himself alone. That is funny being that Stone has all his loyalty to Trump, but they are trying to have nothing to do with him. Senior campaign officials under Trump’s campaigns gave insight to Mueller’s investigative team saying that Stone predicted the actions of Wikileaks but took credit for the damages made afterward that affected Hillary Clinton’s’ campaign. This is some very messy tea that seems to be an outpouring from the White House under this administration. We wouldn’t be surprised if another Trump affiliate was behind bars by the end of next week either.

Shekinah Banks

Hampton U '22

My name is Shekinah Banks and I attend Hampton University. I am a second-year English major with a concentration in Creative Writing from Prince Georges' County Maryland. Becoming a criminal prosecutor is my dream alongside possibly starting my own YouTube channel.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com