This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

No Shave November? No Meat November? Let’s step away from the stereotype that we stick with daily and dig into something that can truly test our will. No Smoking November. Yes, ladies and gentlemen this month we are saying no to weed and stepping into a month where we can dive into ourselves as people. We don’t realize that when it comes to smoking, we spend lots of money and prioritize our time for our clothes and homes to smell like an unflattering linger of trees, mildew, and dirt mixed together. Now don’t get me wrong, I have exercised my right to spark, but I believe that a break from smoking is sometimes a necessity.

Some of you may be wondering, why would I agree to such a commitment? Yet, lets view what a month without smoking means for your daily lifestyle. The amount of money you use to purchase a gram, or two, won’t be spent every week. This allows you to have money to possibly treat yourself to some take-out, or maybe be able to go out with your friends for a drink and a night out downtown. It may not be noticeable at that specific moment, but if you were to add up the weekly amount of money you spend on grams; you might be shocked by the extra money you have.

Secondly, another factor that you would gain would be the loss of the strong aroma of marijuana that lingers in your household or clothes. Let’s be honest, the smell of weed is not a favorable scent. Annoyingly, this smell sticks to your clothes, carpet, and with consistency of smoking in your household, the smell starts to stick to your walls. Some people use incense, some use candles, and lazy people just spray some air freshener. The gag is, there is still a lingering smell that hits newcomers as they walk in. Give your home and clothes a break and say “NO” to smoking.

Lastly, when you smoke, you take time away from being productive. Whether that be with homework, setting up plans for your future, or just getting things situated personally. Now don’t get me wrong, you may smoke to relax but it may also be used as an escape from your responsibilities. Take this month to really look into yourself and start viewing what really is going on with you, your life, and your future. Dive into why you’re smoking and try to understand your reasoning. You may realize that it’s just used for you to relax, and by all means keep doing you. Yet, some of you may be hiding behind the smoke; you can’t hide there forever.

Her Campus Contributor Account 
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com