This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

By: Symone Conway

In the age of streaming, there are many services out for people to choose from: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Peacock, Paramount+, Disney+, Discovery+, HBO Max, etc. Netflix started as one of the most (if not the most) popular streaming service, with some of the best picks in terms of entertainment. In recent years though, Netflix has been on a terrible decline, and Hulu is much better.

At first, Netflix seemed better compared to Hulu because Hulu had adds and Netflix didn’t. Netflix had great originals and Hulu had many options that Netflix didn’t. In the recent years though, Netflix’s policies and film selection has been on a fast-paced decline. They’ve grown strict on account password sharing, leaving many people without an account because they had a shared one with family or friends. Netflix has also  gotten rid of or canceled shows that were popular or had large potential, leaving viewers very upset like Raising Dion, The Get Down, Grand Army, and even Julie and the Phantoms. Netflix has even recently added ads for those that would like to pay less for their subscription.

Hulu, despite its ads, has a cheaper subscription than Netflix. Their content has also progressed a lot. Between Hulu originals and franchise movies, Hulu can be a better streaming experience. Hulu also has the Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ bundle especially beneficial for families. You can also get live TV with Hulu. Viewers can also pay a little more for the removal of ads, with the same great streaming options. 

Netflix’s main downfall was removing or cancelling shows that were good and continuing shows that were uninteresting. The constant removal of shows and films makes Netflix extremely disappointing.  Many people use Hulu or the numerous other streaming services over Netflix now because it just doesn’t hit like it used to. Hulu is much better, and quite frankly should be the larger face of streaming now, but Netflix will always be iconic for its start and large domination over streaming.

Symone Conway

Hampton U '27

Hi! I’m Symone, a psychology major at Hampton University from Chicago, IL. I'm interested in psych because I love understanding people and being there for them. I’m the oldest sister of three, which has influenced my love for supporting others mentally and emotionally. I also love any and everything girly. I think of myself to be a girls girl and believe in uplifting my feminine queens <3. I enjoy astrology a lot (I’m a pisces). I love talking and bonding with others. I’m excited as a writer for HerCampus and hope my articles are enjoyed by all those that read them. Writing is a super impactful outlet for me, and I am inspired by those around me to continue entertaining the world through my articles!