NASCAR D4D Comes to Hampton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

NASCAR paid a two day visit to Hampton on Monday and Tuesday this week for Rev Racing’s Drive for Diversity Campaign. The campaign is a internationally recognized program dedicated to the growth and development of multicultural and females drivers. In conjunction with the School of Business and the Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications, students got the opportunity to participate in various activities supporting the campaign. There were 22 competing drivers including 13 girls. So you know Her Campus had to get the scoop! It was interesting to see so many women, who like every woman, wants to feel pretty. A lot of the girls competing were just as girly and feminine as most of our readers. Erika Newcome of Pickerington, OH even joked that she always has to have pink incorporated into her car and that her nails are always done when she’s behind the wheel.

Photo Cred: Her Campus Hampton U Photographer Joanna Rowell

The most incredible part of the competition is getting to see how the drivers interact with each other. At just 14 years old, driver Macy Causey of Yorktown, VA, right down the street, was quoted saying, “Everyone helps each other out. Even your competition is willing to help you. All you have to do is ask.” It just goes to show that the Drive for Diversity Campaign is about inclusion rather than exclusion. Their mission? To further develop the skills and capabilities of ALL drivers seeking opportunities in one of the world’s most competitive sports. Needless to say, it was very touching to see drivers of different ethnic backgrounds and tons of women who in the words of Ricky Bobby, “wanna go fast.”

Driver Mariah McGriff
Photo Credit: Getty Images for NASCAR

The first day, students participated outside the Scripps Howard School in the NASCAR simulator and other outside activities called, the “Open Air Exhibit.” Later that day, speaker Max Siegel, the Owner of Rev Racing, gave a seminar on the importance of resilience. At the end of the day, students transitioned to a mock press conference for the racers. Scripps students had the opportunity to produce the mock press conference, act as journalists in the crowd, and as student publicists, students coached the racers in preparation for the entire thing. The next day, as the drivers geared up for trials, students got the chance to visit Langley Speedway. NASCAR has lots to offer and they are taking great strides to show that the NASCAR world is just as multicultural as America itself, on and off the track. With many career opportunities, NASCAR and Rev Racing is somewhere to consider applying in the future.  For more information be sure to get with Dr. Battinto Batts in the Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications.

Socorro Kenoly is a senior, Strategic Communication major in Hampton University's Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications. Socorro is a proud Hamptonian hailing from Atlanta, Georgia.