My Top 10 Comfort Movies and Shows

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Sometimes college and life can be difficult. There are times when I don’t want to do anything but just sit in my twin XL, cozy up with my stuffed dinosaur, open my laptop, and escape reality. I do this through putting on at least one of my comfort movies or one of my comfort shows and the lives of these characters make me forget my own life. 

1. Let It Shine This movie made me fall in love with Tyler James Williams AND Trevor Jackson. I feel as if any young black child watched this movie, they automatically know the words to “Don’t Run Away” and can sing it without thought. I don’t even need to explain the plot of this movie because it’s one of those movies that EVERYONE has seen if they have cable and loved Disney Channel original movies. Just watching this movie makes me so happy and I would love to be in this world. 
  2. Princess and the Frog- This is just another classic Black Disney movie that never fails to make me laugh and smile. I’m a sucker for love stories and this was one of the first movies I ever watched with an African American girl as the main character. This opened my eyes to my potential in the world so this never fails to make me grin and sing along. 
  3. Mamma Mia- If anyone knows me, they know I love my mom for sure! So this movie always makes me want to text my mom and see what she’s doing because it makes me think about her. The songs in this movie are so catchy and one of my favorite memories is watching this movie with my little cousin at my grandparents house and we just sang all the songs together. 
  4. Jump In!- Now this movie automatically made me want to join my local jump roping team. Okay, maybe I did because of this movie but I have no regrets! I love me some Corbin Bleu and Keke Palmer so seeing them together in this movie made me so happy. I will definitely watch this movie all the time just for the Black cast and the fun vibes. 
  5. Love & Basketball- I am a SUCKER for this movie! I will forever admit that this is one of the BEST Black love story romance movies of all time. Something about this movie made me want to learn everything I could about basketball just to find my love story. Watching Monica and Quincy grow up and fall in love and then out of love and then back in love just threw me for a rollercoaster and I’ll eat it up everytime. 
  6. Dance Moms- Alright now I’m moving into TV shows and if you know me, you know I love this show to my CORE! I used to be a dancer so watching the drama of Abby Lee and Maddie and Chloe and Nia in each episode just makes me feel warm inside. I know just about every episode by heart, down to the dances, the songs, and who won the competition. So whenever I feel that my seasonal depression is sneaking back up on me I will put on Dance Moms and automatically feel better. 
  7. Grey’s Anatomy- Yes I know there are over 20 seasons but I promise it’s worth it!!! Something about Meredith Grey and Derek Shepherd and their epic love story is legendary to me. I will sit down and watch it from the beginning just for fun and will have no regrets. 
  8. Scandal– If you can’t tell, I love Shonda Rhimes and her drama shows. They are all so addictive and I watched it all in the span of a month!! Olivia Pope is a queen and I wish I had as much power as she did over the COUNTRY and a WHITE MAN?!
  9. Insecure- Issa Rae did her THING with this show!! From the comical moments to the serious midlife crisis moments she would have, I watched this show in about 5 days beginning to end. Issa had me laughing and yelling at the screen because of her actions and I will admit that not a lot of shows do that for me. Definitely a comfort show of mine that I would rewatch again and again. 
  10. Abbott Elementary- This somewhat new show has me laughing every week! I think it’s close to my heart because my grandma was a school teacher so watching this made me laugh and wonder what her teaching life was like. I love Janine and Gregory even though their slow burn is burning a little too slow for me. But I will definitely sit and enjoy a quick little episode and laugh. 

I hope some of these shows and movies give you a little trip down memory lane and maybe even give you a new idea of something else to watch! Now if you’ll excuse me, time to go watch the new episode of Abbott Elementary…

Jasmine Brockington is a second-year Journalism Major with a minor in cinema studies from Richmond, Virginia. She is a strong advocate for awareness of health in Black Women, mental health, beauty, and expressing her opinion on real-life topics. Jasmine loves to write, read, and work out at the gym. In her free time, she also enjoys writing poetry and journaling while listening to music.