This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, we all have that one guy who is our best friend. The one who makes you laugh, listens to you vent and tolerates your zany personality. Sometimes it seems like he knows you better than you know yourself. So buckle up, everyone because this is a story about my first best guy friend, Ryan. 

It all started during my sophomore year of high school. I was doing well in classes and had some pretty good friends. One random day in the spring semester, my class had received news that a new student would be at our school. It wasn’t until geometry class when I met Ryan. He was homeschooled at the time and was taking geometry as a part-time student. He sat right behind me on his first day and I remember him poking my back with a pencil asking me what the heck we were learning about. 

Since Ryan took only one class, he usually went home instead of staying for lunch. But his ride wasn’t here yet, so I asked him if he wanted to eat lunch with me. It was at that moment our friendship began. Turns out we had a lot in common. We both loved Marvel and DC Universe and hated scary movies. As time went on, we became really close friends. He always listened to me when I was frustrated and I always helped him with his homework (mainly anatomy class). 

One of our favorite jokes was when we convinced our class that we were actually related and Ryan was adopted into my family! We kept the joke running for a while and we even addressed each other as bro and sis. 

Another strange inside joke we have is this exact quote, “I have geometry.” So I’ll spill the tea and let you in on the joke. A senior and Ryan had gotten into an argument during history class because the senior said something rude to me. Ryan rarely gets angry, but when he heard what the senior said about me… let’s just say that Ryan became The Hulk. Ryan defended me but the senior was pressuring him to fight in the locker hall. Over and over, Ryan kept telling the guy, “I have geometry.” Luckily the senior left Ryan alone but because of that he and I were late to class. Our teacher was really mad, but Ryan just laughed it off. After that, every time history class was over, Ryan and I would both say, “I have geometry,” and we would literally run to class laughing. It always amazes me how Ryan was able to make any situation hilarious. 

Perhaps one of my favorite times was when we both accidentally went as each other’s prom date. It was junior year and honestly, both of us were not planning on going.  As prom was soon approaching, Ryan started talking about how he didn’t have a prom date and how much life sucks (you know the usual). Coincidentally, I was in the same situation. Then we both just agreed to go to prom together and have the absolute worst time. We even rebelled against the school rules and wore Vans instead of dress shoes! Ironically, it was really fun. The class went on a boat tour and we all had dinner at P.F. Chang’s.  Throughout the night Ryan and I kept joking about leaving to try and see the new Marvel movie. We never did skip because we realized we were two broke high schoolers.

In short, Ryan and I were really great friends and still are. At the end of junior year, he and his family moved back to Florida, but we still keep in contact with each other. Honestly, I could go on and on with so many memories and such, but then this would a really long article.

If you have a best guy friend, cherish him and be genuine. There’s no use of being a fake friend. Friends encourage and support each other, and that’s exactly how Ryan and I are. 

Camille Birdsong is a Her Campus National Writer for the Style section. She writes weekly articles about all things fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and decor. Beyond Her Campus, Camille works as an Associate Producer for CNN Max. She previously worked at NBC News, where she produced heartwarming stories for the TODAY Show audience and viewers nationwide. Camille graduated in 2022 with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Leadership Studies at Hampton University. She was the Director and Line Producer of her university’s newscast and has interned at NBC Nightly News, the TODAY Show and the Weekend TODAY Show. Camille is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and is passionate about sharing community-driven stories. In her downtime, she loves creating content, visiting new cafes, and obsessing over reality dating shows.