Love and Positivity In the Midst of Hate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Each day since the 2016 presidential election, it seems as if the America that we live in is deteriorating little by little. The power of hate has overcome this country to such an extent that people are losing hope. Hope that there will be a day that everyone can come together with hearts full of love. That we can truly be the melting pot of people which makes us unique in our very own way. However, it is very hard to achieve that goal when the person who is running our country is a main contributor to the amount of hostility, hatred and bigotry that America already possesses.

Unfortunately, hate crimes and domestic terrorism is not a rare occurrence in American history. These types of actions stem all the way back to the founding of this nation. School shootings, church bombings and hate crimes all fall within this category. Just recently, a Synagogue shooting occurred in Pittsburgh in which 11 lives were taken, and at least six others were injured. According to the Anti-Defamation League, this is the deadliest anti-Semitic attack in US history, and the Pennsylvania Attorney General believes this case calls for the federal death penalty. According to CNN, the suspect of this hate crime, Robert Bowers, used anti-Semitic slurs and blamed Jews for American immigration issues.

In the midst of all of this commotion, you would expect the president, the leader of our nation, to be comforting and sympathetic. Unfortunately, that expectation is not reality. Just hours after this horrific incident occurred, President Donald Trump plays the song “Happy” by Pharrell Williams. Why would anyone play such a song knowing that lives have just been taken — taken within a place of worship which is supposed to be a safe space for any and everyone. Pharrell has since threatened to sue President Trump for this.

“There was nothing ‘happy’ about the tragedy inflicted upon our country on Saturday, and no permission was granted for your use of this song for this purpose,” Pharrell’s attorney, Howard King, wrote in the cease and desist letter to Trump.

All of this is said just to reiterate the importance of love, knowing the world around you and your contribution to this country. You may think that these events do not affect you, but ultimately they do. It is very important to be politically aware so that you are able to make changes to this country, to this world for the betterment of everyone who lives here. Always keep in mind that by living in America, you have a voice and an opportunity to contribute to prosperity of the country we know and love. Most of all, it is important to keep the flow of love in rotation. Because in the end, love rises above all.

creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com