Let’s Talk About why Light Skin Privilege Needs to be Addressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Being that it’s Black History Month, it’s only right that we acknowledge issues that render our community. The issue that I will touch on, is the issue of “light skin privilege.” This topic is important because many black people believe that the lighter your skin is, the better it makes you as a person. Why is this topic important to address? Addressing this topic helps to also address the division of the black community and the insecurities that many darker-skinned individuals have because of this issue. Here are a few reasons as to why we should stay knowledgeable about this issue during Black History Month.

1. The Mistreatment of Dark Skinned Women

This mistreatment of dark skinned women is nothing new but when speaking on light skin privilege, the mistreatment becomes something more. With the praising of lighter skin women also comes the destroying of darker skin/dark skinned women as well. The mindset of light skin is the right skin is also being pushed onto darker skinned young girls in their home environment and school environment as well. When enforcing this type of mindset, especially onto young black girls, it gives them a sense of not belonging and ugliness. Because of this, many darker skinned girls and women continue to believe that their skin is nothing but ugly and they aren’t worthy of any emotion but disgust and hatred.  

2. Representation Matters

Let’s be real, the majority of the entertainment business is white or light skin. The few dark skin actors, actresses, singers or rappers are usually playing stereotypical roles and never being shown in a positive light. The consistent representation of lighter skin or white individuals gives darker skinned individuals the need to change themselves. This can cause the never-ending discussion of skin bleaching. According to the global beauty industry, the skin lightening industry is projected to be worth 31.2 billion by 2024.

3. How Light Skinned People Benefit from Light Skin Privilege

Many lighter skinned people have a higher socioeconomic status, having shorter prison sentences, are less likely to be punished in schools and less likely to be profiled by police. Zendaya, who is a very famous actress/singer has spoken about her light skin privilege and what that means in the Hollywood scene. She admitted that there is a lot of progress to be made for women who aren’t particularly lighter skinned. I recently asked my friend who is light skin if she’s ever used her light skin privilege. After a few seconds, she expressed that she just knows that she has this privilege. She’s seen it when she’s been to job interviews, while in school, shopping in stores, etc. Lighter skinned people can use their light skin privilege to bring awareness to this plague of an issue.

4. Light Skin Privilege and its Effect on Dark Skinned Men

Darker skinned women are not the only ones who are affected by this concerning issue. Our black men, especially our darker skin/dark skin men are affected by this in so many ways. Dark skin young boys and men are also discriminated against because of their skin color. They are usually the target of police violence, weird fetishes, bullying, and the face of all the things wrong with the black community. Darker skin black men tend to enforce light skin privilege when they feel as though dating/marrying lighter skin women will downplay the simple fact that they are still, in fact, dark skin. The same goes for when they believe having lighter skin kids with “good hair” is better than having a child that looks like them.

I would love if the consistent saying “It shouldn’t matter what skin color you are, we’re all black” was true. The issue regarding colorism has been and will always be important. The division of the black community stems from multiple issues, one being light skin privilege. Until we can properly address and find solutions, the effects of this will continue to render our people. Until next week, Happy Black History Month.

Willow Jones

Hampton U '21

Willow is a Criminal Justice major from Harlem, New York. Willow has hopes of becoming a criminal defense attorney. In her spare time, she loves writing and hopes to merge law and writing together in the future.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com