Leader, Singer, Friend: Peter Savedge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

He’s probably the most popular guy at Hampton University. Everyone knows him, and if you don’t, you most definitely want to get know him, he is Peter Savedge. You would be hard pressed to find a student on Hampton’s campus that doesn’t love Peter Savedge. The junior history major from Surry County, VA has already left an unforgettable mark on his Home by the Sea in his three years here. Peter is a literal on campus celebrity. It’s almost impossible for Peter to walk a few steps without someone calling his name from across the campus. He knows everyone, and that’s probably because he is so involved. He’s a Co-Facilitator in the Student Leadership Program, a member of the Hampton University Choir, and a part of the Freddye T. Davy Honors College just to name a few of his involvements. Her Campus caught up with everyone’s favorite Hampton student to get know more about Peter Savedge.

HC: How do you maintain all of the friendships and relationships you have?

PS: I don’t think that there is something special that I do. If I consider you a friend then there are just things that I’m supposed to do. If I’m honestly genuinely being myself and you love me for that, then I’m going to love you right back.

HC: What do you do in your spare time?

PS: Since I’ve been in college, I feel like I don’t have anymore spare time. All of my time is consumed with doing something for someone else, or for an organization. But if I do have a moment, I sleep. That’s what I do in my spare time.

HC: What experience are you most proud of?

PS: I would have to say two things. One of them is all of my experiences in the Student Leadership Program thus far, because it’s just been such a broadening experience for myself.  Secondly, it would have to be all of my experiences in the choir. I joined as somebody who sang every once in a while, but this has definitely helped me grow as a singer and as a person.

HC: What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?

PS: I’m not a very confident person. I’m very shy. I tend to second-guess myself a lot. I’m seriously shy; I’m constantly concerned with what people are thinking of me.

HC: What are your career goals?

PS: My career goals are to work in higher education. Following graduation, I want to pursue a terminal masters degree in American Studies or African American History. Then I want to teach history for a while, and then get into the realm of educational leadership and management.

HC: What do you feel is the best thing about Hampton University?

PS: The size. The size of the university is perfect. It allows you to have personal relationships with your professors, and at the same time it allows you to flourish as students. Socially, our friend groups are very interconnected and intertwined. As times it can get messy. But who doesn’t love a little mess? Overall it really does give us all a sense of family.

HC: What does it take to become a celebrity at Hampton University?

PS: Aside from just being involved in the things that you do and doing them well, in my mind a celebrity is someone who is respected. So you should be a respectable, likeable, cordial person. Don’t be afraid to speak to somebody, and being able to have conversations with anybody, because what good is it if people know you, but they don’t like you?

HC: Who is your Hampton Celebrity?

PS: I would say the epitome of a Hampton Celebrity is my big brother Terrell Snead. When he went here everybody knew Terrell and everybody loved Terrell. There were so many things to love about him and the best part is that he was just being himself. 

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.