Style > Beauty

Keepin’ it Clean: The Rise of All Natural Beauty

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As the year is rounding out, 2023 has been a host to a plethora of trends in the beauty world. From Hailee Bieber nails to latte makeup, this year’s trends have been in and out. But as the fads fade, the influence of clean beauty seems to be one to stay.

To clarify, vegan and clean beauty isn’t the newest thing on the market. In the late 90s, clean beauty began to see the spotlight. According to Allure, this trend had its humble beginnings, to my surprise, in Whole Foods. By selling small things like natural soaps and aluminum-free deodorants, people started to value the purer things in life.

Now in the present day, this sort of natural approach is the standard for beauty. Parabens, sulfates, and any sort of non-organic ingredients get a major side eye from the public. To say that any non-vegan products are obsolete in today’s market would be a total lie but there is a growing preference.

Back in the day, from lab testing to using some questionable components, animal cruelty was viewed as just another step in the process. This became truly taboo in the 2010s when activists and consumers really started to look at those ingredient lists.

Things such as carmine, blubber, and other animal-derived ingredients in makeup waved red flags for a lot of buyers. This created a cultural shift and urged beauty brands and influencers to promote better-made makeup and hair products.

The rise of clean beauty has even made a new market in the digital world. Apps like Think Dirty and Codecheck were made to inform beauty lovers of what they’re putting in their daily routines. All you need to do is scan the barcode or look up the name of the products you want to purchase and it will tell you all the toxins and ingredients that you might want to avoid.

The rise of clean beauty is not only a plus for those who buy the products but the brands that create them. Companies are rewarded with traction and influence when they create natural products. Being awarded things such as the Allure Best of Clean Beauty Award is attractive in the eyes of consumers.

Some upcoming brands such as Saie Beauty, Mielle, and Tower 28 have become pioneers in their fields when it comes to clean beauty. Even drugstore brands such as NYX and Elf Cosmetics are on their way to the natural world releasing cruelty-free and vegan products. With great products and even better ingredients, these brands continue to thrive and don’t seem to be stopping any time soon.

The rise of clean beauty is beneficial to all. So next time you are in an Ulta or other beauty selling store make sure you check the labels. There is always room for a cleaner way to beauty.

Paige Scavella

Hampton U '25

Paige Scavella is a journalism major and marketing minor from Miami, Florida. She attends Hampton University and hopes to tell stories that are true, engaging and personable. Paige enjoys music, reading and videography.