Jill Scott is going tour: My mom and I will be in attendance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Where did the time go? My mother and I are currently plotting after tickets for the same concert. The musical phenomenon that could pull two generations together is no other than Jill Scott, commonly known as Jilly from Philly. The R&B singer/song writer announced an 23rd anniversary tour for her debut album “Who is Jill Scott? Words & Sounds Vol 1. This album includes some of Scott’s most famous songs including “Getting’ in the Way,” “He Loves Me ( Lyzel in E Flat),”  “The Way,” “A Long Walk,” and my personal favorite “Do you Remember?”.

My mom was the first person to introduce me to Jill Scott’s music. It was a privilege to listen to Scott’s music with her, it was like an adult only club with a secret password. “Who is Jill Scott? Words & Sounds Vol 1” was released on July 18, 2000; a little less than a year than before I was born. As I have grown older, I realized that I was not supposed to be listening to Scott’s music because of the vulgar content. I should have not known that the cologne that Scott’s ex-boyfriend wore “stunk” on her new boyfriend and that she would get turned on by just the way he walked. Scott has this undeniable power to say the most vulgar and sexual things in a calm voice. How was I supposed to know that she vividly just described how she wanted to reach her climax?

Now 21 years old, much older and a little bit wiser. I know exactly what Jill Scott means in her music. I, personally, know exactly how to live my life like it is golden. However, Scott’s music still feels like that adult only club. I realize that I am an adult, but Scott makes me feel like that child in my mother’s car. Her soulful tunes relinquish a sense of comfort that everything will be just fine. The feeling that my adult years would be just fine.

With the undeniable love that I share for Jill Scott and her music, I desperately wanted to attend one of her concerts. And as the person who introduced me to Scott, my mom also wanted to go to the concert. This would be the first concert that my mom and I have attended together; with a mutual interest in the artist. Of course, she has taken me to see Justin Bieber and Mindless Behavior, but my mother had absolutely no interest in any of those acts. This concert will be so much more meaningful.

Due to covid-19, I have not had the opportunity to attend a concert since 2019 and I am so excited to share this experience with my mother. Jill Scott is on the short list of people who could combine two generations for a night of music. I cannot wait to come back and share my experience with this concert in April 2023.

Sydney Broadnax

Hampton U '23

Sydney Broadnax is currently a senior journalism major with an area of concentration in english from Detroit, Michigan. She has been in Hercampus since freshman year of college and is excited to serve as 2022-2023 Editor-In-Chief. She cannot wait to share her love for writing with her Hercampus chapter