Life > Experiences

Jessica Cody: The Epitome of the Hampton Woman

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As this semester comes to an end, I wanted to speak with one of the graduating seniors at Hampton University, Jessica Cody.

Jessica has had an amazing run at Hampton, holding many positions, including the 77th and 78th SGA Student Representative to the Board of Trustees. She is heavily involved on campus in organizations such as, the Women’s Caucus, and the Greer Dawson Wilson Student Leadership Training Program. Jessica is also a Spring ‘24 initiate into the Gamma Theta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Jessica inspires many on campus through her accomplishments and overall bright personality. Jessica has been a friend & big to many, including me. It is truly bittersweet to watch her Hampton journey come to an end but very exciting to see what’s in store for her as she goes on into the post-grad world. I sat down with Jessica to ask her some questions about her Hampton experience and plans after graduation.

One of the first questions I asked her was, what is one of the greatest lessons you have learned in your time at Hampton? Her response was as follows:

“One of the most valuable lessons I have learned at Hampton University is that no matter what, God’s plan for my life is so perfect that I could never mess it up. I haven’t always done or had everything be perfect at Hampton University but, gratefully, God has been so faithful in making sure that I have received exactly what I needed, exactly when I needed it.”

When asked what advice she would give to an incoming freshman attending Hampton she stated: 

“I would tell someone coming into Hampton to take the always follow their purpose over a position. If you are doing what God has for you, the position will come. Purpose is forever, positions change. Also, don’t give in to competition. Winners don’t look to anyone else because they’re in front anyway.”

Taking into account the hustle culture at Hampton, her advice is something we all need to hear. 

Jessica plans to attend North Carolina Central University School of Law on scholarship to pursue a J.D. She went on to tell me  “Being from Fayetteville, NC, I am excited to be moving back to my home state. North Carolina is really the best state in the world to me.”

I went on to ask her how she will take her Hampton experience into her next journey to which she responded “I think the things that I will take most from Hampton are the determination and faithfulness required to succeed as well as the relationships. Life at Hampton has not been easy, but it has taught me to see everything through. Finally, I know that the relationships & family I have built will be around forever.”

Jessica has amassed several accomplishments in her time at Hampton but I wanted to know which one she felt was her greatest achievement. She says “My greatest achievement at Hampton University has been the opportunity to serve as the 77th and 78th Student Representative to the Board of Trustees. I have treasured this experience because it continues to give me new perspectives and avenues to serve the Hampton University Student Body.”

Finally, I asked her about her support system at Hampton; who has been her rock? Who has influenced and supported her the most during this time? Her response was as follows:

“My Hampton University bigs have been the most influential on my undergrad experience. Shoutout to Casi, Eva, Samirah, Alyrika, and JaBrilyn for always pushing me to be my best. They truly are the ones I look up to in everything. As far as my rocks, I have an extremely close relationship with my mom, a 1990 graduate of Hampton, two best friends at Hampton, Aryanna, and Serenity, my sisters at home, line sisters, and littles all keep me looking up when things get rough.”

Jessica Cody has made the most of her Hampton experience since day one, coming in as a freshman during the pandemic. So many of us have watched her grow and become the amazing woman she is, a true representation of the Hampton woman. As her little, I am beyond proud of her and extremely excited to see her continue to succeed at NCCU and beyond. I know I speak for many others when I say that she is an amazing big, friend, and person to have in your corner.

Chelsea Couch

Hampton U '25

Chelsea Couch is a dedicated and insightful article writer with a strong academic foundation in Sociology. Her writing journey is marked by a fervent passion for exploring a diverse range of topics, including mental health, women's health, beauty, entertainment, college life, and social justice issues. Chelsea's in-depth understanding of Sociology, coupled with her knack for crafting engaging narratives, allows her to delve into these subjects with a unique perspective that resonates with readers. With an unwavering commitment to shedding light on important societal matters and a talent for weaving compelling stories, Chelsea strives to write articles that are informative, thought-provoking, and most of all have fun.