This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

After another long hiatus, Jazmine Sullivan has returned and has left us fans wanting more. On January 8, 2021, Jazmine released her long-awaited EP Heaux Tales, and let’s say it did not disappoint. It has been six years since Sullivan’s last release, and fans were holding on to hope she would release something new soon. Well, wait no longer because Heaux Tales is here, and it might be Jazmine’s most raw and vulnerable project yet. Even weeks after its release, it is continuing to make a buzz in the music industry. Heaux Tales, as described by Sullivan, “ [is] my observation of today’s women standing in their power and owning who they are. We are multi-faceted and shouldn’t be defined by any one thing.”

What makes Jazmine’s album stand out is the interludes between songs. The EP features six tracks known as “tales.” They consist of dialogues of real women in Jazmine’s life who share their insecurities, desires, and mistakes in relationships. In “Amanda’s Tale,” Amanda Henderson shares, “It’s a little hurtful that I can’t just be confident in being with one person, that I gotta look over my shoulder, lookin at these girls on Instagram and it’s hard sometimes because I don’t have all that, that they have and the sex has become my superpower, it’s like sex is where I, I’m finding my worth. That’s the one thing that I know I can make you keep coming back to.” In another interlude, “Precious’ Tale,” she says, “When I see a man thrivin; out here, hustlin in many different ways, that turns me on more than anything. Not dealin’ with anyone who does not have money because time knows my work and my childhood plays a big role in this. Me not havin’ stuff as a child, me wanting more out of life, it plays a big role in this.”  

Heaux Tales is incredible with Jazmine’s strong vocals alone, but it includes features with Ari Lennox(“On It”), H.E.R (“Girl Like Me,”), and Anderson Paak (“Pricetags”). The theme of female empowerment is prevalent from beginning to end. Jazmine addresses systemic bias and female inclusion the only way she knew how, through her music. Each song plays a part in giving women a space to talk about their insights into love and sex. Jazmine’s EP is a call to action for women to take their power back. Heaux Tales is available on all streaming platforms. 

Selena Roberts

Hampton U '21

Selena Roberts is a senior Strategic Communications major with an area of emphasis in Political Science minor from Spring Valley, NY. She is a part of the Freddye T. Davy Honors College, Student Government Association. Her Campus, Young Adults Advocating Change, and the Student Recruitment Team. Selena loves the performing arts and is a fan of romantic comedies. She loves to rewatch episodes of Insecure and listen to Jazmine Sullivan, SZA, and Brandy. She hopes to combine her love of media, traveling, and politics together after graduating from Hampton University.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!