This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As I’m sure you all know Hampton University was founded in 1868, and apparently they still think it’s 1868. Hampton, it’s time to make some changes. From the campus, to dress code to faculty, reform is necessary. After speaking to a few students throughout campus, it is clear there are some major problems, but here are the top five.

1. Dress Code

To be honest, there’s so much to say about this issue. Let’s start with the letter that was sent by administration last week to address the alumni’s disappointment with our attire. First of all, it was homecoming everyone was turnt and dressing for the occasion, it was not that serious or indicative of the way we dress in the classroom. Second of all, allowing alumni to dictate what we wear is unfair, as they are not students or faculty, and it undermines your role as an administration because clearly your opinion can be swayed by anyone. Furthermore how does a baseball cap create a distraction in the classroom… I’ll wait. This is an archaic rule with no contemporary basis. Arguably the biggest problem with this dress code is that we are not allowed to wear traditional head wraps unless it’s for religious beliefs. What  about cultural relevance? People of African descent wear headwraps as part of their culture. Coming to an HBCU is supposed to give you the freedom to express yourself, however Hampton has away of limited and policing that. It’s also hypocritical to oppress the expression of Black culture at an HBCU.

2. The Caf

So where to start? Should we begin with the fact that the dishes are always dirty, there was an ant in a student’s Romaine lettuce, or the fact that another student got food poisoning from the shrimp? The caf brings a whole new meaning to mystery meat, just check out the stuffed pork chops. Let’s not forget to mention, that the dessert station is whatever was leftover from last night and the fruit is positively not fresh, as evidenced by the mold. Hampton has some serious mold problems but we’ll get into that with number 3. But for real though, we need better options and a caf that’s up to health code or inspection. There are very few other food options on campus and going off campus isn’t really an option, but we’ll get to that in number 5. Cafeteria food should be healthy, sanitary and satisfying.

3. Dorms

While it’s understood Hampton is a historical campus, they could renovate the inside of the dorms. Even, if total renovation is not an option it would be great if the mold situation in McGrew Towers could be contained and if Virginia Cleveland could have access to hot water on a continuous basis. Finally, let’s not forgot to mention the flood problems. It doesn’t make sense that the second and third floor are flooding but the first floor is completely dry. Is it because that’s where the dorm director lives? I guess the administration cares more about the dorm directors than the students paying beaucoup money a semester to live here. We are not paying upwards of $10,000 to have to tape a shower curtain to the wall because our shower rod was taken by the juniors. It would be nice if we got our money’s worth out of on campus housing.

4. Administration

It’s understood that Hampton is large and hard organization to run, but the Hampton run around is a little too real sometimes. There’s no reason people should be under the wrong major or that our parents should have to call to get things done. Also, it’s not everyone in administration but some people are rude and nasty and too be honest we are not here for it, we didn’t pick your job. Lastly, administration should never call students “ignorant”, especially to their faces *seals decision to transfer*.

5. Transportation  

Hampton, to some students, is  like a prison, a very pretty one, but nevertheless still a prison. While this mainly applies to freshman and other students without cars, it’s still an issue that needs to be addressed. There’s simply no way off campus if you don’t have a car or a friend with a car. It’s unhealthy to be cooped up on this peninsula all the time. Students are going to go stir crazy without the option of seeing other parts of Virginia. Other schools with similar situations offer transportation to local malls, Wal-Mart, or the grocery store. #DoBetterHampton.

Although this sounds like Hampton is just being dragged, ultimately, the students and teachers you meet at Hampton are amazing. Unfortunately, the lack of modernizing and changing simple problems is causing many students to second guess if Hampton really was the right choice.

I am my ancestors wildest dreams