Culture > News

Is it Still Checks Over Stripes? Beyoncé and Adidas New Brand Deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As of late, there has been a lot of buzz in the beyhive after a long period of tranquility. Our beloved Beyoncé Knowles-Carter has been making a multitude of boss moves, and this Adidas deal is big news and a major headliner. As we all should know, Bey released Ivy Park back in 2016 and has done very well. However, it seems as if the hype around Ivy Park has diminished. This is why she and Adidas are now working together to relaunch the activewear/athleisure brand. Similar to how other brands have collaborated with major figures in pop culture (Kanye and Adidas, Rihanna and Puma, Kendrick Lamar and Reebok, etc), Adidas is trying to keep up with urban culture. These days these “athletic” brands rely on the celebrities and fashion more than actual athletes.

https://www.businessinsider.com/beyonce-partners-adidas-athleisure-ivy-park-2019-4

According to Forbes, Adidas has reportedly been declining in sales, not due to their focus on fashion over sports, but due to poor marketing.. Beyonce has an amazing platform and is well known for her empowerment of women and black people. Many are familiar with Adidas’ partnership with Kanye West and his Yeezy line. Within the last year, Kanye has received lots of backlash based on his unpopular views. Is Adidas trying to reach back out to the audience they potentially lost? They may have taken note of Beyonce’s very loyal fanbase and decided to take action.

Honestly, this was a very smart move, Adidas. One can never go wrong with having Beyonce as a partner. She uses her platform for the ultimate good, from donating $7 billion to her hometown, Houston, Texas, to granting a number of minority students scholarships. Being able to partner with Beyonce is probably a dream of many in the marketing industry. Even though she is a major celebrity, she keeps her life private and stays out of the media in a negative light. She is an example of a very successful business woman and has been able to maintain her mainstream status without constantly being attached to negativity. But this seems to only be the beginning. Bey has more up her sleeve…

Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com