The Impending Death of HBCUs and its Impact on Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Historically Black Colleges (HBCUs) are at the cornerstone of African American education and African American women have benefitted from this unique educational experience in many ways. We are all acutely aware of  HBCUs that no longer exist; and if you do not know, a quick Google search will show you. Among the reasons for closures include: the lack of enrollment, lack of funding, questioning about the curriculum, and if HBCUs prepare students for their desired field of study. There are approximately 104 schools that are still in existence What happened to the rest and how does this impact the education of our women?

The culture for women at HBCUs has provided some of the greatest contributions to our society. When women are educated, there is a direct impact to the education of our children, health and wellness, social status, community service, and household income. All of these attributes are at risk with the HBCU closures.

A simple equation for the impending death is: no financial support + no alumni support = EXTINCTION. The American college culture across the country relies heavily on alumni support, but not HBCUs.  According to Urban Media Today, college enrollment for HBCUs has increased significantly for the Fall of 2016. With this uplifting statistic, the question remains, how will the schools continue to sustain and accommodate the influx of students?

One of the most recent schools that closed its doors happens to be the school my great grandmother, grandmother and other relatives attended; St. Paul’s College in Lawrenceville, VA. This was do, in part, to lack of management of funds, and under-funded alumni support. What was also unfortunate about the St. Paul’s closing is that at one time, it was one of the only schools in the country providing a dormitory for single women attending college where their children could also live. Hampton University is not on the verge of closing its doors, but it is imperative that we continue to fund our Home by the Sea. (Hampton Pride vs. PUTTING YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS).  It is important that we, as college students, develop a culture of philanthropy so that when we graduate we are able to preserve our legacy. Pride in your university goes beyond the years you spent there. 

Here is a challenge. If each student gives $1 while they are still students on campus, we can make a significant impact. And another idea is, upon graduation, if you give Hampton University a check with the year you will be graduating (for me, the amount would say $20.18…get it? I graduate in 2018), then we will have made progress. Faculty, I didn’t forget about you. If you give something, anything, to a specific program that you would like to fund, it shows a commitment by the school so that people who are at the school who are professional fundraisers have a great story to tell larger foundations and funders.

Starting now, let’s join the list of 10 historically black colleges where alumni contribute the most: Claflin University (SC), Bennett College (NC), Spelman College (GA), Tuskegee University (AL), Fisk University (TN), Livingston College (NC), Johnson C. Smith University (NC), Tougaloo College (GA), Fort Valley State University (GA). Hampton University, our Home by the Sea should be at the top where we have always been in other important areas such as having a reputation for educating the best and the brightest in our community.