This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Remember when you were younger and had pictures of boy bands all over the wall? I remember the very first poster I had hanging up was of the Jonas Brothers. I got the inspiration from my sister, who would have posters of B2K on the wall from her teen days. It is no secret that boy bands have cultivated into pop culture and have had a major impact. Here are some of the boy bands that have left their mark. 

Mindless Behavior

“My girl, my girl she loves me!” Prodigy, Princeton, Roc Royal, and Ray Ray captured the hearts of girls across the United States with their song, “My Girl,” ( and no, it’s not a rendition of The Temptations’ song). Mindless Behavior toured with the Backstreet Boys, Justin Bieber, Jason Derülo, and was the opening act for Janet Jackson‘s 2011 tour. Mindless Behavior also headlined the first BET Closer to My Dreams Tour alongside Diggy Simmons, Lil Twist, Tyga, Trevante, and Jawan Harris.[6] In 2011, Mindless Behavior headlined the SCREAM Tour with Diggy Simmons featuring OMG Girlz, Jacob Latimore, and Hamilton Park. They have been predicted as Future Stars by This Must Be Pop.

One Direction

One Direction started off as five individuals who auditioned for The X Factor UK. Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, and Niall Horan all auditioned separately, and soon later were placed together in a group. Little did they know that their lives were going to change drastically from that point on. They went on to have sold out arenas, all of their albums being top five on billboards in the United Kingdom and United States, and touring in six continents. Midnight Memories, their third album, was the top selling album in 2013. Although the band has been on hiatus since January of 2016, their role in pop culture has certainly stayed consistent. They have one of the biggest and strongest fandoms known on social media. Millions of people from around the world are able to come together and share a common love for this boyband. I personally can say I have made long term friendships with people due to our common love for One Direction. They fight for LGBTQ+ rights, endorse the Black Lives Matter Movement, encourage the #MeToo movement and much, much more.The boys are all now going their separate ways in the music industry, and have recently celebrated their ten year anniversary as a band on July 23rd. 

BTS

BTS (Bangtan Boys) is a K-Pop group that has become very popular in the last couple of years. BTS was the first K-Pop group to ever perform on a major American award show, making another historical moment in Hallyu, the Korean cultural wave. Their music delivers powerful messages on topics such as female empowerment, mental health, and social injustice. They stem from the typical stereotypes of the Korean culture. Korea is known for its cosmetics and  has some of the best skincare products in the world. This can cause some competition within the culture because everyone would see what the ideal person looks like, and if people fall short they aren’t seen as pretty enough.

Big Time Rush 

Big Time Rush started off as a television show on Nickelodeon in 2009- 2013, but soon evolved into much more. Big Time Rush used its own TV series as a launchpad, and the group appeals to kids, tweens, teens, and adults. They are also credited as the pop group that have once again restored creditably, relevance, and for relaunching boy bands back into the public eye. This was around the same time as The Wanted and One Direction came into view over in the United Kingdom. Due to their extreme worldwide popularity and success, they are heavily credited as one of the bands that helped bring back the boy band wave. Kendall, James. Logan, and Carlos. 

Jonas Brothers

Who doesn’t love a band of brothers? Joe, Kevin, and Nick Jonas all comprise the infamous band, “The Jonas Brothers”. They’re from a small Christian family in New Jersey, and have become a sensation to millions around the world. It’s About Time was their debut album in 2006 and that set sailed their reputation. They starred in Camp Rock in 2008 and Camp Rock Two in 2010. Not only are they musicians, but engage in philanthropy. Nick Jonas as a diabetes ambassador promotes the idea that young people should manage their diabetes, as Nick was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 13. Nick even testified in the U.S. Senate to promote more research funding for the disease. It’s no surprise that people look up to celebrities as an inspiration. Having a celebrity go through the same struggle as yourself shows you that they are not invincible, and at the end of the day are regular people. Not only that, it raises awareness for the disease.The group infiltrated pop world with catchy music, and have sold over 18 million records. The brothers have gone on a break in the past, but they are up and kicking again as of 2019! I can’t wait to see what they may have in store for us. 

NSYNC

The group’s name is also a play on the last letter of each of the initial members’ names: JustiN, ChriS, JoeY, JasoN, and JC. Their brand of harmony-filled, R&B-tinged bubble gum pop helped usher in a new sound that had not been too prevalent in the US pop music scene before 1998. NSYNC took over the global music scene with their R&B-tinged bubblegum pop, sleek dance moves and coordinated outfits. Their group consists of a well-rounded sound of baritones, tenors, and bass which surprisingly makes a perfect harmony. Beginning in the nineties pop music culture was slowly dwindling down until NSYNC came into the scene. Their music started off as love songs and evolved into a more electric dance feel. This group paved the way for the bands following after such as One Direction, and major artists like Haley Williams and Meghan Trainor. 

And there you have it folks! These are just the very few boy bands that have had a major impact in the music industry as of today. Let’s be honest, NSYNC walked in order for the rest to run. It is amazing to see how much of an impact artists can have on the world around them. It’s even better when they use their platform to spread awareness on issues that are going on in the world. Some honorable mentions are of course, Five Seconds of Summer, The Wanted, and New Kids on The Block. 

Briana Previlon is a junior at Hampton University where she is pursuing a major in Political Science on the Pre-Law track. When she is not writing, you can find her listening to music, watching Harry Potter, or hanging out with her friends.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!