absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

How the Women Running for President in 2020 Plan to Secure the Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s clear that 2019 has set new boundaries of what it means to run for president. With the democratic debate being last Thursday, September 12, 2019. It was amazing to see the diversity of the candidates. Latinos, African Americans, Asian Americans, and most importantly women! 

In total, six women have campaigned for president for the Democratic Party, but only three have made it to the top ten. For most females who are able to vote like myself, I feel obligated to vote for a woman. I have come to the conclusion this mindset will not be acceptable unless I actually examine what each female candidate is bringing to the table. Which one will benefit me the most? Which candidate will secure the bag for the country?

Kamala Harris is the first on the dockett. 

Who is she? 

Kamala D. Harris is a 54 year old civil rights leader born October 20, 1964 (Libra gang!). Elected in 2016, she is the second African American woman in history to be elected to the U.S. Senate, and the first African American woman to serve as Attorney General of the state of California. 

What has she done? According to her website https://kamalaharris.org Kamala prosecuted transnational gangs that exploited women and children and trafficking in guns and drugs. Also, she has been a leader in comprehensive studies and investigations into the impacts of transnational criminal organizations and human trafficking. Mrs. Harris has won the fight against the Wall Street banks and won $20 billion for homeowners who were facing foreclosure during the Great Recession. 

What are the cons of voting for her? Harris argues that her views align with the new progressive movement. But her record in California, where she was a prosecutor, district attorney, and state attorney general before representing the state in the US Senate say otherwise. Her most controversial scandal was when she blocked information that would have freed an innocent man from death row until the courts forced her to do so. She was called out by Joe Biden on this matter and she denies it. The truth will be set free if and or when she gets elected.

What is she going to do as president? According to her campaign website Senator Kamala introduced a co-sponsored legislation to provide sweeping tax cuts for the middle class, address the high cost of rent, raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, make higher education tuition-free for the vast majority of Americans, reform the cash bail system, protect the legal rights of refugees and immigrants, and expand access to affordable, quality health care with Medicare for all.

Next on the dockett: Elizabeth Warren.

Who is she? Elizabeth Ann Warren born June 22, 1949 (Cancer Sista!)  is an American politician and former academic serving as the senior United States Senator from Massachusetts since 2013. She was formerly a law school professor specializing in bankruptcy law.

What has she done?  According to https://elizabethwarren.com In only three years, she has sponsored at least 36 bills, including the Equal Employment Act for All, the Schedules That Work Act, the Trade Transparency Act, and the Fed Accountability Act. She consistently fights for legislation that champions for women’s rights, paid family leave, low-wage workers, fair trade and affordable education. She also had worked for president Obama!

What are the cons of voting for her? Thanks to her team’s poor decision to proudly broadcast the results of a DNA test that shows she may have had a relative 10 generations removed that was of indigenous American heritage; she was seen as a cultural appropriator. As Senator Warren was once promoted as “Harvard Law School’s first woman of color,” LOL! the results seem to confirm that she misrepresented her ancestry in her past career as a law professor. Americans aren’t the only ones on her neck, but she’s received condemnation from the Cherokee Nation. It made her once again the butt of President Trump’s jokes.

What is she going to do as president? Elizabeth plans to provide Universal Child Care, Safe and Affordable Housing, a better Foreign Policy, Protect A Woman’s Right to Choose, A Fair and Welcoming Immigration System, Strengthening Our Democracy, Rebuild the State Department, Get Rid of the Electoral College, Real Corporate Profits Tax, Defend & Create American Jobs, End Private Prisons and lead in Green Manufacturing. And that’s not even it!

Amy Klobuchar is last on the dockett. 

Who is she? Born May 25, 1960 age 59 (Gemini Baddie!) in Plymouth, MN. She is the first woman elected to the U.S. Senate from the state of Minnesota and candidate for President of the United States. 

What has she done? According to https://amyklobuchar.com  , Amy has  passed more than 100 bills into law as the lead Democrat and was named the most effective Democratic Senator. Medill News Service analysis of legislative data from the independent congressional tracking website GovTrack says, Klobuchar has sponsored or co-sponsored 27 bills that have been enacted into law.

What are the cons of voting for her?  Klobuchar faces some obstacles: her moderate politics (at least, relative to many of her competitors for the nomination) may turn off some Democratic primary voters, as may some of the reports that she has mistreated her staff. 

What is she going to do as president? Ms. Klobuchar, has emphasized throughout her presidential campaign that a bipartisan approach is the Democrats’ best chance at winning the White House. In May, she released a $100 billion plan to combat drug and alcohol addiction and improve mental health care. Several weeks later, she unveiled a list of more than 100 actions she would take in her first 100 days as president if elected. The list addressed issues such as voting rights, prescription drugs and antitrust enforcement. She has also released a detailed infrastructure plan and a plan to help seniors.

In conclusion, I feel as if I have provided you with briefly enough information about each female candidate. Maybe you choose Amy, maybe you choose Kamala, maybe you choose bernie! But whoever you choose make sure you are well-educated about each of this year’s candidate before making your final decision and taking it to the polls.

Blogger, Influencer, fashionista, and writer from Atlanta, Georgia! Hampton university 2023! First Year Journalism student Subscribe to my Youtube Channel : youtube.com/c/MyeshiaFlawless
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!