This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner ladies and gentlemen. It’s about that time to get the perfect gift or plan the perfect date with your significant other. It’s a great opportunity to show them how much you love them (even though you shouldn’t wait until a holiday to show them, it should be all year round). If you find that you’re running a little low on money this time of year, no worries! This article will give a few ideas on gifts and fun gifts you can give them that will make them very satisfied with your effort. 

Dates

Baking. Not only is it inexpensive, but also a chance to show off both of your baking skills. It’s a great way to bond while having delicious treats. What to bake is up to you guys. It can range from brownies to heart-shaped cookies, anything that suits both of you.

Sip and Paint. You paint while you sip. It’s a chill environment and also the time to show your “artistic” side. There could be a place near you that offers a session, or you could just do it at home. If you do choose in the latter option, just throw in a couple of face masks or sugar scrubs. 

Barnes and Noble. Go in and read some books together. In the music section, you have the opportunity to listen to music. Also, most stores contain a Starbucks within it, therefore buying drinks while enjoying your books will be satisfying. 

Bowling Alley in the Student Center. Go to the Stu! Go wild and go a couple of rounds in bowling for free. If you know another couple, bring them along for the ride too. A little competition is healthy for the soul.

Private Photo Shoot. Set up a photo booth in your apartment and take pictures! Buy some little decorations that go along with the Valentine’s Day theme. There could be heart-shaped papers, red sunglasses, etc. 

Gifts:

Dollar store basket. Ight so boom, go to the store and get a basket, it doesn’t really matter the color. Fill it up with all of your significant other’s favorite things

Victoria’s Secret. Although regularly it’s expensive, the best time to go is when there’s a sale. At the moment, you can buy perfume and lotion for only $8.50. Buy a little something for yourself too while you’re at it.

Flowers. Simple, but effective and cute.

Gift Card. Buy a gift card to their favorite store, food place, wax place, etc. A basket is really thoughtful and your partner knows that you pay attention to the little things and thinking in their best interest. 

It’s really important that you aren’t hurting your pockets substantially when buying gifts or going on a date. A good idea is to set aside a certain amount that you’re willing to spend and stick to it. I’m sure your loved one will surely appreciate the effort you have put forth. 

Briana Previlon is a junior at Hampton University where she is pursuing a major in Political Science on the Pre-Law track. When she is not writing, you can find her listening to music, watching Harry Potter, or hanging out with her friends.