Style > Beauty

How My Makeup Went from Tragic to Trendy: Tips from a Makeup Lover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

In the last four years, I have managed to learn so many beauty tricks that have helped me as a black woman. I figured out how to do my own Marley twists in high school, I managed to perfect my eyebrows during quarantine, and even learned the importance of staying on top of your nail appointments.

The very first beauty skill I learned was how to do my own makeup and that was a journey for the books.

It all started when I was a freshman in high school. I can remember the first liquid lipstick I bought for myself. I think it was called dark plum and honestly, looking back, that color was not a good start. Regardless, I ended up buying that color and rocking it almost everywhere I went. Going to the mall? Dark plum lipstick. Going out to dinner? Dark plum lipstick.

Finally, I lost that horrid product around Christmastime and got myself mascara. I had some experience with mascara back when my mom only let my sister and I wear clear mascara (yes, clear mascara…), but with this one from Nyx? I felt like the baddest chick in the freshman class.

Honestly, I had every right to. With each new product I got after that, I found a way to make it my own. Making your products your own is some of the best advice I can give. If you think you look crazy, people will think you look crazy! If you walk around in your plum lipstick thinking you’re the world’s next Beyoncé, that’s how people will see you!

At the beginning of my sophomore year, I realized that even though I had the confidence to rock my makeup, I definitely needed to up my game. I remember going to the mall near my school on a Friday and buying my first eyeshadow palette from Sephora. Let me tell y’all, I was pumping out different looks with that palette. 

From the black eyeshadow and nude lipstick to the soft brown eyeshadow and chapstick (I didn’t have gloss yet, don’t drag me) I can definitely say it was a work in progress. After I got that eyeshadow palette and eventually, foundation, it was insane how much better my makeup was looking. 

In the span of six to seven months, my makeup had really gone from tragic to trendy. I did makeup for the junior and senior proms, for the winter formal, and even my own makeup for my sweet 16. So for my friends (because y’all are my friends now, surprise!) who are starting a makeup journey, don’t stop working on it. Figure out what you need to fix and keep working on it!

Since the beginning of my makeup journey, I’ve wholeheartedly fallen in love with doing my makeup. Not only do I end up with a beautiful look, but I also enjoy the process of applying it.

In the end, mastering makeup is a process that doesn’t happen in a small amount of time. But if you keep trying and paying attention to the details of your face, your makeup will go from tragic to trendy too. Stay beautiful. 

Eden Jones is a first-year psychology major from Washington, DC. After college, Eden plans to go to graduate school and receive her Master's in Psychology. At Hampton, she is a member of the Her Campus Twitter team, and is also a member of the executive board of College Girls; where she serves as the Bonding Events Coordinator. In her free time, Eden enjoys making flyers for her clubs, watching new shows and movies with her family, and getting to know other Hamptonians virtually.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!