Style

How to Achieve the Perfect Twist Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Anyone can get the perfect twist out with any type of hair. It doesn’t matter if you have 4c, 4b, 4a 3c, 3b, or 3a hair. All you need is the right products for YOUR hair type and the right technique.

Before we start, grab yourself a creamy hair product, some oil, and a styling gel. I use Cantu Natural Hair Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream, Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Repair Cream, and Curls Lavish Daily Curls Moisturizer and Eco Style Black Castor & Flaxseed Oil Styling Gel. All can be purchased at any local beauty supply store.

Let’s Begin:

1. Make sure your hair is damp to start styling. You can use a spray bottle or wash your hair. I usually style mine directly after showering, and I like to work with clean hair with no product in it.

2. Section your hair into four parted sections: part down the middle first for two large sections and then part each section to separate in half. This will be easier to apply products.

3. Working one section at a time, take small pieces about an inch thick and apply a cream-based product followed by some oil and finally some styling gel. Before you start make sure your hair is de-tangled all the way through. I always pull my Denman brush through as I layer each product to make sure the hair is covered with the product and smooth for twisting.

4. Grab two pieces of hair and start twisting! Repeat for each section of hair until all hair is twisted.

5. Get your bonnet out to protect your hair as you sleep. Your twists must be 100% completely dry before taking them out because if not your hair will come out frizzy if you do not wait for your hair to dry completely.

6. Untwist your hair the next morning. Be gentle to avoid fizz. After you have untwisted each section, gently separate the sections to your liking.

And there you have it…the perfect twist out for all of my natural sistas.  

Anyaé Johns

Hampton U '21

Anyaé Johns is a graduating senior Journalism major/Leadership Studies and Cinema Studies minor from New Jersey. Anyaé is a part of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute, HerCampus, NAACP, Phi Eta Sigma, and the Hampton Script. She is a writer and a mentor.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com