This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Did you know that only 9% of Americans make resolutions and complete them? In January, you’re most likely to be fueled with motivation to power through and accomplish your goals, but by February, the challenge lies in resisting the urge to discard those resolutions. This New Year, I am committed to achieving my New Year’s resolutions by crafting goals that are not only clear, measurable, and achievable but also compelling.

Creating New Year’s resolutions that are measurable, achievable, and compelling involves thoughtful planning. Here are some tips to help you create successful resolutions.

Be specific and clear:

Clearly define your resolutions interictally. The best way to define goals is to set SMART goals.

SMART goals include the following: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time. Specific goals are highly detailed statements that include what you want to achieve. Think of using “The 5W’s”.  Measurable goals are how you will show how your goals have been accomplished. Attainable goals are how your goals can be achieved. Relevant is how these goals relate to what you intend to seek out/ your purpose. Finally, time is setting dates on when to successfully complete these goals. It is important when setting these resolutions and using this method to complete resolutions within your capability.

Make it personal:

It is important to create resolutions that align with your aspirations. I plan on making my goals revolve around setting aside time to really dive into a hobby that I haven’t made time for. I plan to use this time to delve into the things I truly love. Resolutions can often be vague, which is why I and often others quit, as the lack of authenticity makes it challenging to progress. I aim to set realistic intentions for my resolutions, ensuring that I stay motivated and commit to achieving them within a reasonable timeframe.

Making myself accountable:

In 2024, my days of cozying up in bed for Netflix marathons are slowly behind me. I am determined to hold myself accountable to my resolutions, and to achieve this, I plan to invite my family or friends to join me in pursuing one of my resolutions, such as a 10-day workout challenge. This approach not only holds me but also boosts my motivation to accomplish my goals, knowing someone else is on the journey alongside me.

Adjust goals as needed:

In this New Year, I know the certainty of unforeseen circumstances. I know that if I need to adjust my goals it is ok to be flexible. Recognizing the importance of realigning resolutions with my current life, I am committed to progress rather than perfection in this new season.

So, leverage these tools as a roadmap guiding you through your journey of success, rather than viewing it merely as a gateway. I hope you feel empowered as you forge a trajectory toward achieving your resolutions.

Laura Wiley

Hampton U '25

Hi, My name is Laura Wiley. I am a third-year journalism major from Baltimore, Maryland. When she’s not writing she is shopping, drinking chai, and doing yoga.