He Gon’ Be Alright

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The Grammy’s were this past weekend and began as usual. People performed. People won. People lost and pretended they were happy for the winner. This award show however, had some moments that stood far out from the rest. First, Demi Lovato sang her way into my heart with a rendition of “Hello” during a tribute to Lionel Richie. Then, Adele blessed the audience and viewers at home with her stellar voice. The moment that still has everyone raving though was Kendrick Lamar’s groundbreaking performance.

Kendrick came to the show with 11 nominations, the most out of any artists this year. He was undoubtedly going home a winner no matter how his performance went but he decided to leave us speechless anyway. Literally it was the best “f**cks sh*t up and drops mic” moment I have seen all year.

Kendrick began his performance by coming onto the stage in chains, shackled to other “inmates” while others stood in jail cells. Clearly a nod to the ridiculously high rate of incarcerated black males in this country. His first song was “The Blacker the Berry” off his most recent album “To Pimp a Butterfly”. Lamar and the other prisoners then broke out of their chains and moved into what seemed like an African village. He performed his chart topping single “Alright” in front of a bonfire with drummers and tribal dancers surrounding him. The extras then danced off stage and Kendrick moved into either a freestyle or a song never heard before. Either way his energy and passion could be felt from both those in the audience and at home.

Kendrick didn’t win Album of the Year for “To Pimp a Butterfly”. That award went to Taylor Swift *rolls eyes*, but he left a mark on everyone in that audience. Kendrick Lamar’s performance was obviously political, but it doesn’t seem like he will face the same backlash that Beyoncé faced after her politically charged Super Bowl performance. I don’t understand why her performance got ANY backlash to begin with, but that’s beside the point. I’m starting to see a pattern of black artists using their influence to make a change in the world, to make sure people realize and understand that the crimes being committed against people of color will NO LONGER be accepted. I don’t know about you guys, but I am here for it!

Socorro Kenoly is a senior, Strategic Communication major in Hampton University's Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications. Socorro is a proud Hamptonian hailing from Atlanta, Georgia.