ClimateChange HeroImage Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ClimateChange HeroImage Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Jenna Freitas | Her Campus Media Design Team
Life > Academics

Hampton University Student Leader: Jericka Guy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Unapologetic Black female leaders think differently. We’re the few, fearless, strong, resilient, and NOT easily intimidated Queens. Integrity, perserverance, and confidence run through our veins! We don’t have to cheat, lie, or manipulate to win. We impact, empower, and inspire ALL people for the betterment of the world. Our authenticity is what makes us POWERFUL and EXQUISITE. We are Black Women…The REAL game-changers!”

Stephanie Lahart

A leader is someone who leads; someone who guides others. Hampton University students leaders are exemplary students on Hampton’s campus who show the qualities necessary to lead both on campus and in the real world. This week, I decided to interview the student leader, Jericka Guy. Guy is a first-year Psychology major, Leadership Studies minor from Howard Country, Maryland. I’m thankful for the opportunity to have chatted with Guy and ask her a few questions on what it means to be a leader.

What Values are most important to you as a leader?

JG: To me, the most important values in my leadership are fairness and inclusivity. A leader must be willing to work with others to meet the goal of the organization. They must value fairness and inclusion to gain support and cooperation because it’s important to make sure that everyone on the team is fairly and equally included in making decisions.

How can a leader fail or what is the most important thing a leader should do?

JG: A leader may fail if they don’t listen to their team. If a level of trust is not established and the team members can’t stay engaged and use their individual skills if the leader is not properly doing their job. The most important thing a leader can do is support the people they are leading.

How do you get others to accept your ideas?

JG: One of the most important things in sharing ideas is to first understand how it fits the needs of everyone involved. After that, you can present the idea to your team in a positive way and get their support. Also, learning to be persuasive and how to best express the benefits of your ideas can help convince people.

Do you think a person can become a leader, and if so How?

JG: Yes, anyone can become a leader as long as they work to first develop their own skills to be positive, engaging, and cooperative when working with others. Good leaders are supportive, not demeaning or demanding but instead use their skills to motivate others.

What do you love about Hampton U?

JG: At Hampton, I really like how everyone genuinely will work together and likes to support each other. This makes for an engaging community of students.

Lastly, what’s a fun fact about you?

JG: A fun fact is that I’ve been in a steelpan band since the fifth grade. I’ve gotten to play at some amazing venues and competed nationally. Performing outside the White House was a horror story but still a great honor.

Are you a student who possesses the qualities of a leader? Do you possess the power to influence, motivate, and guide others towards achievements? Have you taken the initiative and become or are on the path to becoming a Hampton leader? If so, we appreciate you! We see you! You, like Jericka, make Hampton a better place!

Hi everyone my name is Oluwatomilayo Akintunde, but I go by (Tomi), I'm a first year kinesiology major, minoring in Spanish; and I'm from North Jersey.